~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Would like a recipe for a simple Castile-like soap that cures fast

Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #61
Sapolandia

Likes Given: 2

Thanks Dixiedragon and Toxicon

I want to make a soap that I can use in my face, and as shampoo and balm at the same time. Argan oil and shea butter are the only things I ever apply to my skin, but I've noticed that the soaps I've made from shea dissapairs quite fast, and leaves quite a lot of fat in the shower. Not really a problem, but always room for improvment I recon. I am considering 5% palmoil, and 5% castor oil - and 20 % coconut oil - for the qualities these oils have, and the fact that I don't have easy access to these oils (very expensive as well where I live..) But as I mentioned I have a lot of shea and argan - but I'm not sure what kind of qualities they have in a soap. I don't want to waste them either, since they are so great when applied straight on the skin.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #62
dixiedragon

Liked 3503 Times on 2024 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapolandia View Post

I want to make a soap that I can use in my face, and as shampoo and balm at the same time. Argan oil and shea butter are the only things I ever apply to my skin, but I've noticed that the soaps I've made from shea dissapairs quite fast, and leaves quite a lot of fat in the shower. Not really a problem, but always room for improvment I recon. I am considering 5% palmoil, and 5% castor oil - and 20 % coconut oil - for the qualities these oils have, and the fact that I don't have easy access to these oils (very expensive as well where I live..) But as I mentioned I have a lot of shea and argan - but I'm not sure what kind of qualities they have in a soap. I don't want to waste them either, since they are so great when applied straight on the skin.
I'm not sure how you mean to use a soap as a balm? If you have short hair, using soap as shampoo is probably okay, but soap as shampoo on long hair is not a good idea.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #63
Margo

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Pure Castile Soap

If you only do CP soap, then you have to wait for it to cure. Pure OO soap is Castile soap. If you use any other oils it is not Castile soap (I don't care what others say) If you want to make just soap then don't call it Castile soap if you're not using only OO. Pure Castile soap made with OO takes almost a year to cure if you're doing CP.
I make Castile soap using OO using the HP method and it is cured and ready to use from three days to one week.
Sorry, I don't share recipes

Old 06-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #64
kchaystack
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2020 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo View Post
I make Castile soap using OO using the HP method and it is cured and ready to use from three days to one week.
Sorry, I don't share recipes
Ok first, if you claim that Castile is 100% olive oil, you have already told us your recipe.

Second, your soap is not cured in 3 - 7 days. HP is safe to use as soon as it is finished cooking, the chemical reaction with the lye and fat has finished - but HP needs to cure as much as any other soap. So for a NaOH lye about a year. HP soaps do NOT cure faster - you normally use more water in them, so they need a longer cure than a CP soap.

This is a well documented fact from most of us on this forum. Please stop spreading this urban legend that HP cures faster.
People Like This 
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #65
WeaversPort
Voyages of Curiosity

Liked 610 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaystack View Post
Ok first, if you claim that Castile is 100% olive oil, you have already told us your recipe.
Shhh!! Don't tell anyone. My castle soap is 100% olive oil as well! It has lye, water, and olive oil.

I started to add other stuff: sodium chloride, sodium lactate, honey, oats, small bits of avocado, pulped carrots, leftover spinach that had gone through a borrowed Vita Mix... But then I realized it wouldn't be 100% olive oil anymore. It would be something like 97% olive oil, and disqualified from the castile Olympics for juicing.

I also rearranged the soap molecules by hand, using magnets to make it cure faster. But don't tell. That's part of the secret recipe.

Welcome to Weaver's Port
People Like This 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #66
anshika154
anshika154

Liked 28 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

40 oz. olive oil
5 oz. palm oil
5 oz. coconut oil
16 oz. water
6.7 oz. lye
Between 1.5 and 2.2 oz of fragrance or essential oil, according to your preference

Make sure that you run your recipe through a lye calculator to make sure that all of your measures are correct!

In this recipe, I added a little more palm oil and coconut oil.

Last edited by anshika154; 06-08-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 06-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #67
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1924 Times on 955 Posts
Likes Given: 1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapolandia View Post

Sapolandia, I am not sure using 20% CO soap on the face is wise. Maybe for young very oily skin, one might be able to get away with it, and I think you'd need a high SF. And if you use 5% palm in addition to that 20% CO, you have a very stripping soap. My guess is that soap would really dry out the facial skin.

But what do I know, I never use soap on my face anyway.

Argan oil is rather expensive here, so I've only used it when it was a free sample, and it was such a small sample, I didn't really notice what it brought to the soap. As far as shea in soap, I tend to use it in a very low percentage; around 5% to 8% when I do use it.

How much fat is left in the shower probably depends on your SF of your soap formula. I tend to SF low at about 2% or 3% most of the time. But could what you are seeing left in the shower be soap scum? Homemade soap without chelating additives tends to leave behind more soap scum than synthetic bar soaps, which is even worse in hard water (as opposed to soft water.)
bumbleklutz Likes This 
Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #68
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4420 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 3566

I use 20% CO soap on my face but it's SF at 8% and High lard with avocado, castor and Shea. I also use salt bars with a 20% SF and 80% CO. I'm older and my skin is not dry at all. It will vary from person to person. My skin is the best it's been in years.