Lotion bars...who knew?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Just wanted to say how amazed I am with how my hands feel after making and using lotion bars! I'm giving them away to people I know that work outside and EVERYONE is flipping out!
I'm thinking of giving away about 24 for the holidays but the packaging is challenging...supposedly in tin containers rust will form and most of the plastic containers are very limited in their height...I saw some beautiful things on alibaba ,but a 5000 count minimum order seems excessive!I picked up some gift card metal containers on sale at Michael's yesterday and plan on lining them but even with the mold I have that closely mimics that size it comes up just shy in length.
Any suggestions, gang?
On an aside, yesterday at the Dollar Store I saw my first commercially produced soap with tallow as the primary ingredient. The usual for me, regardless of origin has always been palm and palm kernel oils.It was Yardley brand with lavender...

I really need to experiment with the lotion bars. I need to come up with something that isn't greasy :)

Hi everyone! Just joined your forum. Iwas wondering if anyone had ideas fro packaging lotion bars? can you carefully shrink wrap them?

where do you get these. are they spendy? I like to keep costs down for both me and customers
I will warn you, some FO's and EO's can eat through the coating on the tins and cause rust. I make solid lotion but put it in 2 oz jars. This way if they melt it stays in the jar as long as the jar stays upright.

I will warn you, some FO's and EO's can eat through the coating on the tins and cause rust

good to know, does that take awhile though or can it happen right away? I also bought some smaller heart molds yesterday that I think will work much better for a lotion bar.

I was wondering why rust would form from a no-water product. I wanted to package some in tins also but was going to wrap them lightly in glassine paper first. Keeping the bar from contact with the tin should keep rust from forming then.

Perhaps the lotion bars could be shrink wrapped before putting them in tins.
That is what i wondered. I'm also looking for a good way to store lotion bars.

BTW, we are kind of neighbors. i live north of Columbia

I recently saw this lotion bar recipe that used the neatest recycled paper tubes. http://soapdelinews.com/2015/11/cranberry-chutney-homemade-solid-lotion-bar-recipe.html. You can get the tubes at SKS... https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin8w.html

I've heard such good things about lotion bars they are on my short list to try.
I also use kraft paper push up tubes. People seem to appreciate the more eco choice than plastic. I also make larger bars and put two in an 8 oz craft paper soup cup that comes with a lid.

I was wondering why rust would form from a no-water product. I wanted to package some in tins also but was going to wrap them lightly in glassine paper first. Keeping the bar from contact with the tin should keep rust from forming then.
It is the fragrance/ essentials oils that eat through the coating and cause the rusting usually on the lid or rim. I know no water is in the product but believe me it can happen. Customers will not always rewrap the bar and it is just messy at best since oil if it even melts slightly will seep everywhere. Paper tubes become greasy after time goes on.

Latest posts

Back