Other soapers at the Markets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
maybe she feels like you are stepping onto her "turf". she might feel like she has that market all to herself so if people want handmade soap she is the one to get it from but now that you are there, she has to compete. :roll:

she will get over it. dont let her bad attitude mess with you

I always make a point to walk the show and see how many other soapers there are there. All are nice to me when I say Hello to them and I have become friends with many. Some just act nice and do nothing but lie to me. I guess there will always be all kinds.

Bruce

Bigmoose said:
I always make a point to walk the show and see how many other soapers there are there. All are nice to me when I say Hello to them and I have become friends with many. Some just act nice and do nothing but lie to me. I guess there will always be all kinds.

Bruce

Oh Yeah! There will always be both kinds.

There is another soaper at the farmer's market where I sell. She actually does Glycerin soap, lotion and scubs. I do cp soap, balms and laundry soap. I won't step on her toes by doing lotion and scrubs...

And our products are different enough that we both attract our own buyers. Her products are more upscale/boutique and mine are more market oriented/basic... everyday.

She is extremely nice and easy to get along with. Thank goodness!

There are always other soapers at the events I sell at... always women, always selling for ~$5 per bar. I sell for ~$3. They're always very friendly.

I've talked at length with a few and they don't seem to think of me as "competition". I guess my price is too low and my look-and-feel too utilitarian, I don't know.

There are *so* many people making soap these days...

I am slightly nervous to put a stand at a market now. Not that I was going to do it any time soon, it gives me something to think about. I would go pale if something like that happened to me.

Stakie said:
I am slightly nervous to put a stand at a market now. Not that I was going to do it any time soon, it gives me something to think about. I would go pale if something like that happened to me.

Tell me about it, talk about anxiety. Something like that should be fun. It's too bad there are so many a$$holes out there. I understand that we all aren't always in the mood to be nice but that's even more of a reason to try not to be rude.

While thinking about our business, we asked a bunch of people around if there were other soapers and then we went to check them out. We have met 2 so far and they were really awesome ladies who have been making soap for years.

I think competition is healthy and keeps people on their A-game. I can't wait to go look at other products and learn more about what they do! It's all useful information. It would suck though if someone were mean or aloof. :(

I can't imagine soap making being such a cut throat business!

I think a lot of home-based businesses are like this, though. I have an interior design business that I hardly put any attention into anymore (no one's buying that sort of stuff with the economy in shambles)... designers can be so cutthroat. But the reality is, that we each have a different style, and our customers all have different tastes.. so there really is room for all of us, even though some don't seem to think so.

I've also made jewelry, and sold that with a friend at craft fairs. Jewelers can be nasty-- they don't want the other ones "snooping" around their booth, getting ideas. I suppose any of us can copy something, but a true artist has their own look, and their own way of doing things that will attract different customers.

It's hard to let someone else "snoop" though- It can feel like I'm being investigated, or used for my ideas... but there really is room for everyone. I like to try to engage "snoops" in conversation, trade some ideas back and forth, (ask them what seems to be their best selling item/scent, ask them how their shows are going, ask them how long they've been at it... essentially make them feel like they're very important and all-knowing!!!) and go one doing what I'm doing.

Back