Can I have input on this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
I wanted to try grape seed oil, as I never used it before, and made this recipe. Usually when I have used lard, my soap is ready to unmold after 24 hours!

This time, it sort of feels ok in the silicone mold, but is not strong enough to take it out. It has been 48 hours.

What do you all think of this recipe? Any input is greatly appreciated.

grapeseed_oil.png

I think your approach and recipe are perfect, SRA! You've never used grapeseed so you want to try it out for yourself, excellent. It may be a soaping oil you really like or it may not but the only way to know is to try.

I did a DOS experiment a couple of years ago using 4 different oils and grapeseed was one of them. One of the things that was most useful to me (apart from the DOS) was how I felt about the quality of the lather and skin feel after drying off. Since those opinions are unique to each person, you may feel differently about grapeseed than I did. So doing your own experiment is the perfect way to decide for yourself!

If you feel like perusing my DOS thread, you can read it here:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54506

KristaY, that was a fascinating experiment.

Thanks Kittish! It taught me to try things out for myself and not just fly on other's coattails. The coattail ride is dandy when starting out because, hey, we need a direction when we're new and trying to grasp the enormity of soap chemistry. I also ventured out and did a SF experiment. Just because 5% SF is the default doesn't mean you have to stick with that.:)

When I use grapeseed oil in soap it's usually a smaller percentage, but I don't use it much in bar soap.

Like KristaY, I also did an experiment with different oils, but it wasn't a DOS experiment (even though some did develop DOS). It was a single oil soap experiment. I used only one oil in something like 16 different soaps. My goal was to see what each oil was like as a single oil soap; how it performed alone; if I would like it; how it lasted, etc.

Looking back at my notes, here's my experience with 100% grapeseed oil soap: Took a long time to come to trace; had to heat it up (in a warm water bath) to get it to trace with a stick blender; very soft at 24 hrs, 48 hrs, and still 'pretty soft' at 72 hours. And it was 'very white'. Then for some reason, the notes on the grapeseed soap disappear! Bummer, impressions are lost as I didn't record them and of course I do not remember now! I do know that it apparently did not impress me as a single oil soap, or I would have written that down. But I didn't write that I hated it either. So I am sad about that. Perhaps I need to repeat the experiment now that I have more experience and a better grasp on what I am doing! And what happened to that soap? Well I still have some that survived without any DOS and that I do test when I think of it, but it is not among them. It must be one of the DOS-developers* from that group that I threw away one day, but forgot to write that one down.

Anyway, I do occasionally use it in a soap recipe because I don't want the oil I have to go bad just sitting around in the bottle. I prefer to use it in a bug repellent spray that I make, which is why I bought it in the first place. But when I use it in soap it is usually just for mixing colorants so the percentage of the recipe is very low. Oh, and it is also in a recipe for a LS I use for a woman's shaving soap that I absolutely love. So I do have a use for it outside of solid bar soap. And now I use ROE and EDTA to address the DOS issue.

* OK, who here remembers working with DOS on their pre-historic computers (with tiny little memories) and had a chuckle at 'DOS developers'? I sure do and did.

The amount I used is exactly as the recipe. I just did a very small batch to try the oil. I was going to use palm, but I am out of it , so lard to the rescue ....

I was just grocery shopping and saw it, and thought the green hue was so pretty. lol Never judge a book by its cover!

Thank you all. If it was to get dos, which luckily I have never seen, how would it take for that to happen?

And thank you all for the answers.

Thank you all. If it was to get dos, which luckily I have never seen, how would it take for that to happen?

I've had it rear it's ugly head in a couple of weeks and I've had it slowly evolve over many months. I've had the dots of orange and the gradual color change to all over orange. I've also had colored & swirled soap that didn't look like it had DOS but the smell gave it away. So basically it can happen at any time and in a variety of ways.:evil:

I'm curious to see what you think of your soap when it comes time to use it so please keep us posted!

I'm with you, I've never seen DOS on my soaps yet. But what I've gathered from reading around here, the answer to that could be anywhere from next week to never, and everything in between.

Yikes! Sounds like my diet plans! :shark:

I had, I never use grape of soybean, and I got dos in 4 batches, I used Pure olive from Walmart it was soft a long time, I think the oo was mixed with canola or others

I have an update! I have been picking up, and I had put one aside to see if it will develop DOS. I am happy to say the soap looks as nice as when it was curing. Even the scent is still strong.

Perhaps the fact that the grapeseed oil I used was new, and did not expire in 1 year, contributed to keeping it fresh? I don't know. Just speculating.

DSCN2389.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious to see your recipe too! I often use grapeseed oil at 11% to fill my tall & skinny mold. My first soap is 2 years old and still no DOS.

I tried this with sunflower oil in December/January and developed DOS by April. (Of course, I just figured out last week that despite the oil bottle saying it was great for cooking, it wasn't HO sunflower oil thanks to this great article from DeeAnna.) So I'm back to using grapeseed oil until I get my hands on HO sunflower and HO canola.

I was looking, but it seems I did not save it .... sorry. However, I substitute it olive oil for grape seed, and ran it through the calculator. So most likely it was around 33%.

Normally I do 33% olive, 33% olive, 25% coconut, 5% castor, and 4% of a high oleic, or sweet almond, or a butter (cocoa or shea)

I just used the butterfly bar in the shower. I loved it! It was a very nice soap.

Back