Would like a recipe for a simple Castile-like soap that cures fast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 oz. olive oil
5 oz. palm oil
5 oz. coconut oil
16 oz. water
6.7 oz. lye
Between 1.5 and 2.2 oz of fragrance or essential oil, according to your preference

Make sure that you run your recipe through a lye calculator to make sure that all of your measures are correct!

In this recipe, I added a little more palm oil and coconut oil.
That's a heck of a lot of water! I would suggest discounting this, unless this is a hot process soap. Otherwise I suggest twice the lye amount for water. So you have 6.7 oz lye, should be 13.4 oz water.

Shouldn't be a problem. :thumbs:
Hi Zany! I'm Back! :)
I want to tell you that I made your Castile No Slime recipe and tested it after 3 weeks and I LOVED IT! But I have a little probIem. When I used individual molds it worked perfect, but when I used a loaf mold it was extremely hard to cut and crumbled on me :( I'm wondering if prefer a type of mold over another.

I want to tell you that I made your Castile No Slime recipe and tested it after 3 weeks and I LOVED IT! But I have a little probIem. When I used individual molds it worked perfect, but when I used a loaf mold it was extremely hard to cut and crumbled on me :( I'm wondering if prefer a type of mold over another.
I always make ZNSC in cavity moulds so i don't have the cutting issue.

Cavity molds are great for soaps that will harden before you can get to cutting them. If you use a loaf mold, you will have to watch it closely so as to cut when it feels like cold cheddar cheese. That may happen much sooner than you think! If you wait too long, it will be too hard and will crumble, just as you experienced.

Cavity molds are great for soaps that will harden before you can get to cutting them. If you use a loaf mold, you will have to watch it closely so as to cut when it feels like cold cheddar cheese. That may happen much sooner than you think! If you wait too long, it will be too hard and will crumble, just as you experienced.
Yes, For example, I cut my salt soaps (80% Coconut Oil, 20% Shea, 75% salt) made in a loaf in about 3 hours, and it’s still quite warm.

That’s true, and thanks for helping me clarify. I didn’t mean that the soap itself must be cold.

My high-CO soaps are always warm when I cut them, but their consistency is like cheddar cheese right out of the fridge (as opposed to cheddar that has been sitting out at room temp, which would be too soft to cut). Hope that makes sense!

LOL Hi HMZ! I'm glad you liked the ZNSC but so sorry to hear it crumbled when you used a loaf mold! I always use a loaf mold and don't have that problem. So, all I can say is what others have said, that you probably waited too long to unmold & cut. The only other thing I can think of is the "faux sea water". If you used too much salt to make it, that could result in crumbly soap as well. You might want to go over your notes to see if you missed something or did something differently. ;)

LOL Hi HMZ! I'm glad you liked the ZNSC but so sorry to hear it crumbled when you used a loaf mold! I always use a loaf mold and don't have that problem. So, all I can say is what others have said, that you probably waited too long to unmold & cut. The only other thing I can think of is the "faux sea water". If you used too much salt to make it, that could result in crumbly soap as well. You might want to go over your notes to see if you missed something or did something differently. ;)

Hi Zany :)
Actually it was still kind of soft after about 18 hours so I waited few more hours, not sure if that was too long :(
And regarding the faux sea water I'm sure I did it accurately as you mentioned. Now by 1 quart you mean 32 fluid oz, right?

Although 32 fluid oz. of water = 1 quart, in soapmaking we weigh the water as well as the other ingredients. I hope that answers your question. :)
In the original “faux sea water” the ingredients do not seem to be weighed as it calls for 1 quart water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon baking soda. So in HMZ’s defense, the “in soapmaking we weigh the water as well as the other ingredients “ doesn’t make sense.

@linne1gi Picky, picky, picky. LOL Honestly? I just really didn't understand the question or even why it was asked. Also, unsure of HMZ's level of experience, hence the basic "we weigh" everything. :)

@linne1gi Picky, picky, picky. LOL Honestly? I just really didn't understand the question or even why it was asked. Also, unsure of HMZ's level of experience, hence the basic "we weigh" everything. :)
:) Yes I do weigh everything, but I was making sure that I used the correct weight when using a quart, since I've noticed some people mention that some measurments vary between the US and Europe. Maybe it was a dump question from me

:) Yes I do weigh everything, but I was making sure that I used the correct weight when using a quart, since I've noticed some people mention that some measurments vary between the US and Europe. Maybe it was a dump question from me
It wasn't a dumb question at all considering your reason for asking it. It does get confusing, obviously, we both were confused. Most people won't remember this but when Jack Kennedy was first elected to office, in his inauguration speech in 1961 he promised we would change to the metric system. He also promised we would land on the moon. The moon landing happened. Converting to the metric system did not. It would be so much better if we had done that, to my mind at least. :)

It wasn't a dumb question at all considering your reason for asking it. It does get confusing, obviously, we both were confused. Most people won't remember this but when Jack Kennedy was first elected to office, in his inauguration speech in 1961 he promised we would change to the metric system. He also promised we would land on the moon. The moon landing happened. Converting to the metric system did not. It would be so much better if we had done that, to my mind at least. :)
Yes, the metric system is so much better. In medicine, that’s what is used most often, and I use it because, in my mind, grams are much more precise than ounces.

So true. In the Architectural/Engineering practice we had up until my DH retired in 2008, drawings had to be in both metric and imperial. :hairpulling:

Back