Making Deodorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea if I can use magnesium hydroxide instead of magnesium chloride? The hydroxide is what I have been using in my solid deo and I have a supply of hydroxide. Also, what do you think the witch-hazel adds to the recipe?

I use the witch hazel as a base because alcohol is very drying to my skin. I add a bit of alcohol to my recipe because I've read it helps keep the essential oil from separating. It seems to be true , because that's how I keep my air freshener scent mixed w/o having to shake it before spraying. I can't answer to the magnesium hydroxide because I've never tried it. Give it a shot and see what you think? If you already have it, and it turns out that it works - problem solved! Not to mention it would be one less thing to have to buy. I used the magnesium chloride because of the health benefits, and it's one of those minerals that our bodies get the most benefit from through absorption, rather than by supplement. If you try magnesium hydroxide and it works, please let us know. I bought a HUGE container of the mag chloride (the only size I found) that may last me a life time, but who knows, the hydroxide might be milder, or work better than magnesium chloride in deodorant. I'd like to know too.

We talk about the differences between chloride and hydroxide (somewhere) in the de-funk thread. If I remember right the hydroxide is considered a purer form of magnesium and comes in a finer powder (or mine did). Both should work but you may get better results with hydroxide.

We talk about the differences between chloride and hydroxide (somewhere) in the de-funk thread. If I remember right the hydroxide is considered a purer form of magnesium and comes in a finer powder (or mine did). Both should work but you may get better results with hydroxide.

Thank you BattleGnome! That thread became so big i totally forgot about that discussion.

Yep! I preferred the chloride because it was my understanding that it's absorbed better (used as a topical) than the oxide. When I bought the magnesium chloride, I wanted to make magnesium oil. I did, I used it, and I hated it. So, there it sat until the spray on deodorant flash I got while laying awake - yet again. I was informed it can assist with better sleeping. I was desperate enough that if I had read on a reasonably reliable source that puppy chow would help me sleep, I can't say I wouldn't have given it a try. For me, it's working and it makes an obvious difference when I don't. For the purposes of deodorant, I don't know if it would make a difference or not since I've not tried it. I know in oxide form, it's the least absorbed form of mg, I've used mg oxide in a bath, or even as a laxative. My total experience with mg oxide. I'm excited for someone to try it and report back on it's effectiveness in deodorant. I beat a path on google and found this: http://peoplesrx.com/the-best-kind-of-magnesium-for-you/

Yep! I preferred the chloride because it was my understanding that it's absorbed better (used as a topical) than the oxide. When I bought the magnesium chloride, I wanted to make magnesium oil. I did, I used it, and I hated it. So, there it sat until the spray on deodorant flash I got while laying awake - yet again. I was informed it can assist with better sleeping. I was desperate enough that if I had read on a reasonably reliable source that puppy chow would help me sleep, I can't say I wouldn't have given it a try. For me, it's working and it makes an obvious difference when I don't. For the purposes of deodorant, I don't know if it would make a difference or not since I've not tried it. I know in oxide form, it's the least absorbed form of mg, I've used mg oxide in a bath, or even as a laxative. My total experience with mg oxide. I'm excited for someone to try it and report back on it's effectiveness in deodorant. I beat a path on google and found this: http://peoplesrx.com/the-best-kind-of-magnesium-for-you/

WOW! I am very impressed at the amount of reading you have done on the magnesium tooic!

WOW! I am very impressed at the amount of reading you have done on the magnesium tooic!

Desperate people do desperate things. I appreciate a decent nights sleep. :)I'm not personally on any medication, but I was curious to know about drug interaction and if this was suitable for people that do take any. I didn't see anything that stood out.

@freesia792 , did you use the mag oil in your deodorant? I find mag oil makes me SO ITCHY. I only do oral supplements since then because of that, but of course using mag for deodorant purposes is totally different. Would love to find a way to use it up....but the ITCHING!

@freesia792 , did you use the mag oil in your deodorant? I find mag oil makes me SO ITCHY. I only do oral supplements since then because of that, but of course using mag for deodorant purposes is totally different. Would love to find a way to use it up....but the ITCHING!
Then I highly recommend you not try this. It is possible to make it to strong. I try to be careful not to make it SUPER strong, when I have mixed to strong, I just add more witch hazel and it's fine. I suppose it is considered (or could be) a mag oil. I use witch hazel and alcohol to make this. No water added though so I don't need to add a preservative. mag doesn't make me itch, but it dries out my skin something fierce! I think that's another reason I like to use in deodorant. It seems to keep me drier than other homemade recipes. Since we don't use aluminum chloride (aluminium trichloride) in our deodorant, they don't usually keep us dry, and this actually does a decent job of that for me, 10 months out of the year. FYI: My pits are pretty! ;) No discoloration, no itching, and if I didn't over mix, my skin is not overly dried out.

I have a customer wanting me to make some deodorant in a deodorant tube and just wondering if anyone has made a deodorant before and how did it turn out

Try this:
Handmade deodorant:

3 tablespoons baking soda

3 tablespoons arrowroot powder

3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (I used virgin, because it smells nice with lemongrass)

1 tablespoon witch hazel

10 (give or take) drops lemongrass oil

Mix everything together. I used a fork to make sure everything got incorporated.

You do need to keep it in the fridge so it stays hard (the coconut oil is what makes it solid), but imagine how nice it will feel in the hot hot summer! **Update** I haven’t kept in the fridge and it’s been fine. If it gets super hot in the area it’s in, that’s not a good idea, but I’ve kept it in the bathroom closet and no problems with it melting at all!) If you have yours in a bowl, you’d simply dab it on your fingertips and rub your underarms. **Update** I’ve noticed that on days that I sweat profusely, which this will not help with, as it’s a deodorant and not an antiperspirant (which aren’t good for you!), the baking powder will sometimes leave marks on my clothes. They wash off, but just be wary on a really hot day if you’re wearing something that can easily get marked, you may not want to wear this deodorant! It’s really only happened twice for me though, and I can realllly sweat like a man sometimes! lol. Look at how cute it looks in my tube all dolled up

You could always add Shea butter or mango butter to harden it up. Mango butter is harder than Shea and it should Keep it solid even in the hot heat. I have a tub of it and it’s keep solid (although a little soft) in my condo when it got to 35 degrees in here!

Try using melting coconut butter that will solidify at room temp and can keep in the bathroom not the fridge

Try this:
Handmade deodorant:

3 tablespoons baking soda

3 tablespoons arrowroot powder

3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (I used virgin, because it smells nice with lemongrass)

1 tablespoon witch hazel

10 (give or take) drops lemongrass oil

Mix everything together. I used a fork to make sure everything got incorporated.

You do need to keep it in the fridge so it stays hard (the coconut oil is what makes it solid), but imagine how nice it will feel in the hot hot summer! **Update** I haven’t kept in the fridge and it’s been fine. If it gets super hot in the area it’s in, that’s not a good idea, but I’ve kept it in the bathroom closet and no problems with it melting at all!) If you have yours in a bowl, you’d simply dab it on your fingertips and rub your underarms. **Update** I’ve noticed that on days that I sweat profusely, which this will not help with, as it’s a deodorant and not an antiperspirant (which aren’t good for you!), the baking powder will sometimes leave marks on my

Just to jump in here a bit and not take anything away from all the baking soda/coconut oil recipes...the magnesium/babassu for me was to avoid the pit burn from the baking soda and staining on my tops from coconut oil. So when the ladies discovered mg/babassu it was a redefining moment for me and my underarms.

Coconut oil can yellow clothing and Baking Soda can cause severe rashes. I have been using my mag/babassu for at least a year and love it. It is also a very good seller with many return customers.
That is good to know about coconut oil and babassu. I made deodorant this past weekend and used both, next time I will use only babassu.

Back