Fruit fly invasion.......solved!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
OK, it's that time of year again, when fruit flies like to pay a visit. Soooo I may have forgotten about a mango in the fruit bowl. It was hard when I bought it, and I was waiting for it to ripen. A couple of days ago, I noticed a few fruit flies. Then yesterday, the "few" had turned into a cloud of them, hovering over the fruit bowl. What to do? I googled, and came across apple cider vinegar, that miracle pantry staple, as the solution. Just pour the ACV into a cup or bowl and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to break the surface tension. Some advised covering with saran wrap with holes poked in it, then there was one suggestion about a funnel taped over the top, but one said just leave the bowl/cup with the ACV out, and the fruit flies would do the rest. Always a lover of simplicity, I ignored the saran and funnel and lo and behold, the fruit flies are gone! Well, not gone, they're at the bottom of the cup, pickled in ACV. Nice, non-toxic solution. I thought I'd share in case anyone else is being invaded. This one really works.:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this. I used to have this problem all the time with my bananas over ripening. Since I have started baking fat free quick breads I just bake muffins or breads and every once in a while I take it to work and people LOVE it!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back