I woke up to an oil slick! O.o

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skatergirl46

Soaper on wheels
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I put my container of CO on my kitchen counter to melt over night. My oven is the type that is always on, so it is warm in my kitchen. This morning I woke up to melted CO all over my counter top. :lolno: A little ran down the front of one of my cabinets, but other than that it was limited to the counter top. Ugh. I thought that I was getting a head start on melting my oils, but as it turned out I didn't get any head start because I was busy cleaning up the mess. Next time I'll put the bag of CO into a pot on the counter. At least I still have some CO left. Apparently the leak is small. Live and learn I guess. :roll:

Well, I decided to make the best of it. I had 1476g of CO and a leaky container. What to do? Salt bars! I just picked up a bunch of cheap bath salts from the dollar store last week so I was ready to go. …and my FO order from NG arrived yesterday afternoon. I decided on Cannabis Rose for this batch.
The CO was still liquid this morning so I didn't have to melt anything. I was concerned about the FO misbehaving so I blended it with my oils before adding the lye. There were no surprises when I added the lye. In fact it was slow moving and I stick blended it a fair amount before I got trace. I added 900g of bath salts and mixed until it was a bit thicker to keep the salt suspended. I had plenty of time to pour into my multi-cavity round molds. The fragrance is lovely and seems to be nice and strong. This has been sitting for a few hours now and is getting nice and hard.

So I put my container of CO on my kitchen counter to melt over night. My oven is the type that is always on, so it is warm in my kitchen. This morning I woke up to melted CO all over my counter top. :lolno: A little ran down the front of one of my cabinets, but other than that it was limited to the counter top. Ugh. I thought that I was getting a head start on melting my oils, but as it turned out I didn't get any head start because I was busy cleaning up the mess. Next time I'll put the bag of CO into a pot on the counter. At least I still have some CO left. Apparently the leak is small. Live and learn I guess. :roll:

Yuck!! I hate cleaning up spilled oil. and am glad my coconut oil comes in buckets! Although I admit I hate dealing with 5 gallon pails of melted coconut and palm oil during the summer.

Here they are unmolded. The speckles that you see is the Paprika that I put in to tone down the day-glow yellow color of the bath salts. I like this 50% salt method because it's easy to get nice smooth soaps like regular CP. The fragrance is nice and strong and I definitely need another bigger bottle of this one. Love it!

They look awesome! Can you tell me what size mold you use? I am thinking of getting a 3 x 1 mold from Brambleberry....

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply. I've been doing more skating than soaping lately. I used the round silicone mold from Brambleberry. They are great. It's easy to prevent gel if you want because the walls are thin, but they are thick enough to give the bars nice straight sides. I'm very happy with mine.

**Recipe update**
I love what the Sunflower oil did for this salt bar! I used 90% CO and 10% HO Sunflower oil, 20% SF. This bar is really conditioning. So much so that I haven't needed any lotion after showering and my skin is extremely soft. The rose scent is light and pleasant.

Back