The Great Coconut Oil Fiasco!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
For those of you that don't know, I really hate coconut oil.. I mean, it's great in soap and is touted as a natural moisturizer for the skin, but I hate the feel of just plain coconut oil - it's just sooo oily!

I was preparing to make a carrot soap with activated charcoal (I know, sounds lovely right!). Already had measured out my carrot juice and lye and mixed them together. I was letting them cool and preparing to melt my oils. I had them all gathered up and was setting them out so I could measure them out. And of course, I drop my brand new container of coconut oil... It falls from the counter to the floor and of course lands on the top. The top breaks... This wouldn't be so bad, if it hadn't been eighty degrees in my house for a few days now. So the usually solid coconut oil is liquid! It spills all over the floor and splashes all over my pants leg. I'm slipping and sliding around the floor trying to get a towel to soak up the coconut oil. Finally get a towel and begin soaking up (more like smearing..) as much of the coconut oil as I can.

I kick my shoes off to try to get a little better traction. It didn't really help. I slip and slide around to put the towel in the laundry room almost busting my butt in the process. I grab a soapy sponge from the sink and start scrubbing my floor. I swear this only spread the oil slick even further. At this point, my dogs had come over to see what all the commotion was all about and discovered that there was something edible on the floor (and me). One starts licking my toes while the other is licking at the coconut oil/soapy water mixture. Between the three of us, I think most of the coconut oil is cleaned up. Needless to say, the carrot soap has been postponed until I can go get some more coconut oil.

LOL! I'm sorry, i know it ain't funny, but i just had to laugh, esp reading that part where you nearly busted your butt :D i can relate though, at one time i spilled almost a whole (1000 gr) bottle of glycerin. you know how sticky it is, right?

Been there, done that, but it was melted lard and palm kernel oil. All down the counter, all over the new laminate floor in the new soap house. I keep a bag of kitty litter in the closet now, just in case it happens again. What a mess to clean up. I was smelling pig for a few days.

Been there, done that, but it was melted lard and palm kernel oil. All down the counter, all over the new laminate floor in the new soap house. I keep a bag of kitty litter in the closet now, just in case it happens again. What a mess to clean up. I was smelling pig for a few days.

Yes, kitty litter or oil dry from auto parts store. It never hurts to keep a bag around. As long as you have it, nothing will happen. Give it away to someone who needs it and don't replace immediately and you are going to have a mess soon. :Kitten Love:

Did the dogs track it all over the house? :crazy:

I HATE oily messes! I'm thankful that I haven't had one like yours. But I am happy that if I do drop coconut oil or lard my greyhound, Butchie, is so ready to offer his assistance. That is yet another reason I measure my oils at one time then put the gate up later before measuring my lye. I've needed his help pretty regularly.

OMG! i can so visualize the mess.. I'm not sure I'd want to soap for a while after that. lol

I got salt soap stuck in my eye about 5 months ago and ended up in the urgent care and I've never been the same since. Swear it took me forever to not be pissed at 'soap' and all it entailed after that. Every time I started to think about getting stuff out to make a batch I'd yell at it in my head and say no way. haha.

Yes, kitty litter or oil dry from auto parts store. It never hurts to keep a bag around. As long as you have it, nothing will happen. Give it away to someone who needs it and don't replace immediately and you are going to have a mess soon. :Kitten Love:

Did the dogs track it all over the house? :crazy:

Actually I think I tracked more of it through the house than the dogs lol. I'm still finding oily footprints. Probably will for a few days.

Actually I think I tracked more of it through the house than the dogs lol. I'm still finding oily footprints. Probably will for a few days.

I have Nelly trained well. Anything that hits the kitchen floor is followed by a loud Cleanup! and she comes running. Saves a lot of bending over and cleaning. She has gained a little weight though. :mrgreen:

Dennis, I love your dog, and her pj's! sooo cute!

hmlove, I spilled just a wee bit of melted shea butter yesterday, and I was irate. I can't even imagine the oil slick you had to deal with! it was funny though....lol. glad everyone is ok.

do you have any hardwood floors? I would have just tried to smear the oil all over the floors....

Back