just to confirm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Roebic-Laboratories-Inc-32-oz-Drain-Cleaner-Crystals/4751600

This is it. Didn't know if there's a significant difference between commercial and cosmetic strength (or whatever it's called).

Screenshot_2014-10-25-14-31-35.jpg

I was using that for a while, until the local meth cooks bought it all.

It's tiny little pellets and static always leaves some sticking to the sides of the plastic container you measure in. But it dissolves quickly!

It can be hard to find lye in my area too, lot of meth use/manufacturing . The big places like lowes or home depot doesn't carry it but the smaller mom and pop hardware stores do. I'm lucky that there is a local soap place I can get 5# buckets for $10.

My local True Value orders it for me a case at a time. I get a good price and don't have to pay shipping. It comes on their truck and I pick it up at the store.

Our Lowe's has the Roebic. It works fine. It is what I am using right now as I forgot to get NaOH also. I have some now from ED, but the Roebic needs using up first.

Interesting note, though, the Roebic bottles do not gain nearly as much weight between soapmaking batches like the ED stuff does. (NaOH will absorb moisture from the air, so I weigh the bottle after I pour enough for the batch, then weigh it again right before the next batch to know how much moisture it soaked up.) Not sure why it absorbs 15 grams less between batches.

Our Lowe's has the Roebic. It works fine. It is what I am using right now as I forgot to get NaOH also. I have some now from ED, but the Roebic needs using up first.

Interesting note, though, the Roebic bottles do not gain nearly as much weight between soapmaking batches like the ED stuff does. (NaOH will absorb moisture from the air, so I weigh the bottle after I pour enough for the batch, then weigh it again right before the next batch to know how much moisture it soaked up.) Not sure why it absorbs 15 grams less between batches.

Blowing. My. Mind.

So the lye you buy from each retail setting.
You weight the purchase in container.
Soap, and less the lye in container.
Next reconfirm the amount, soap #2 batch.
Less both batches, and reweigh. Soap batch #3.
Less it all, reweigh, soap.........
Etc.
Etc.
Then later on you see the moisture amount seeped in from nuances in the calculations being off???

And this lye has less loss than other lye purchases? In other words, for some reason, this lye picks up less air water particles than others you've experienced? So it technically lasts longer...
Am I getting this? Feel totally lag brained and confused lol!!!

Back