isopropyl alcohol & labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What percentage alcohol is everyone using. I've been using 99% isopropyl and have seen a significant decrease in soda ash.

I use both 70% and 91%, depending on it's purpose. And in some non-soap situations, 99% is also a good one to have on hand.

70% remains wet longer, so tends to cause some surface melting of soap. Because the 91% contains less water, it evaporates faster and is better for use on the surface of soap.

70% is better for disinfecting the surfaces of bottles and jars, however, because it stays wet longer.*
It's a great stain remover, too. I have removed permanent marker from clothing using rubbing alcohol. It is my go-to stain remover for greasy stains, as well.

99% is even better when used on electronic equipment, such as when I replaced a cooling fan in my laptop, requiring removal & re-application of thermal paste.

It had not occurred to me to use 99% on soap, but it makes sense that there would be even less soap melting, so it would be better, I suspect.

*n.b.The CDC no longer recommends isopropal alcohol for institutional disinfection, but still suggests it is good for home use. So I would go the 10% bleach route if I were using it to clean bottles or jars for commercial purposes. 10% bleach solution is what we used to disinfect CPR equipment when I was a CPR instructor.

Latest posts

Back