What do you do

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStar

Reaction score
when a new suite-mate moves in and throws away your second to last two year old dragons blood Bastille because they thought it was garbage.

Not sure if im seriously looking for advice or just venting

I sort of want to cry T.T

Two years of curing

I think I'd have a serious talk with them about what garbage is. Where was it and how was it stored that they could possibly think this was something that needed to be tossed?

I'm much too much of a packrat to have a housemate. Especially one that thinks soap is EVER garbage!

(If it wasn't too long ago - I'd tell them to dig it back out of their garbage. Yup I would - even if I wouldn't use it again, even if it was totally destroyed. Why? I'm mean like that and I would want to make absolutely sure they would never ever touch my stuff again. I doubt they would if they thought they'd have to dig it out of the garbage....)

Last edited:
has the trash been picked up and hauled away yet? first and foremost, if at all possible, retrieve it!

next thing you do is get a new roommate.

I am not even kidding.

At the very least you need to have a serious heart to heart about how you do NOT throw out ANYTHING that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.

EVER.

If you suspect it may be trash but does not belong to you, you ask.

If this person has no respect for your belongings, you can bet they won't have any for you.

Sorry, I have ZERO tolerance for that.

Then you let yourself have a good sniffle over the lost soap, and make another batch.

I think I'd have a serious talk with them about what garbage is. Where was it and how was it stored that they could possibly think this was something that needed to be tossed?

I'm much too much of a packrat to have a housemate. Especially one that thinks soap is EVER garbage!

It was sitting on the little ledge above our sink, where normal humans put soap, toothbrushes and the like.

That's the sucky thing about being in university, i have to have suite mates T.T

If you have no choice, then I would probably explain how many bones human beings have in their bodies, and how badly they are going to hurt when they are broken if you EVER touch ANYTHING of mine again.

Like I said, I have issues with that.

(I don't actually condone violence, or the threat of violence, but I would make sure they knew I was very very serious)

It was sitting on the little ledge above our sink, where normal humans put soap, toothbrushes and the like.

That's the sucky thing about being in university, i have to have suite mates T.T

A person who thinks soap CAN be garbage can not possibly be smart enough to make it through university! Lord help us all if that is our future.....

I would ask if they still have the garbage and ask them to retrieve the soap from it. Then you need to explain to them that your home made soap will often have unusual colors or textures and that its perfectly normal.
Dragons blood is really dark, could be they though it had gotten old and was rancid. I had never seen dark soap until I started making my own.

Okay but how do you even mistake soap for garbage??? Even my ugliest burnt rebatch soaps still pass for soap... if anything you'd think they'd mistake it for cake and take a bite out of it. Especially because it's fragranced... I agree with new12soap, a roommate with the audacity to throw out their roommate's belongings is not a good roommate.

That is terrible. Sometimes people are just incredibly stupid. People in my house know not to mess with my soap, even my 2 year old doesn't mess with it. Mica on the other hand don't leave that anywhere she can reach.

Confrontation in whichever form it is presented, is never easy. If it is making you upset/uncomfortable about addressing this with her??, then you weigh the balance of losing an obviously valued soap, or not making any waves and letting it go. However, since this seems like a new living situation my advice for you is to establish some boundaries early on. Since she is so easy to throw away something that does not belong to her, what happens when she eats food you may receive from home? - or borrows something of yours without asking?. Even though I LOVE the picture in my head of her dumpster diving for your soap, (and then needing to use it to get the stench off), I don't think you would have posted if this if it was your personality. How about during a quiet time in the room express your interest in soap making and how that bar was important to you. At the same time you can also tell her that you felt disrespected when she threw away something that belonged to you without asking. No yelling, no attitude. Normal conversational tone of voice but keep eye contact with her. Make sure you see that little flicker in her eyes that she gets it. Body language is more truthful than words. If in the happenstance she does not get it, be mindful of your possessions and spend some time with the dorm manager. Within 30 days students come and go and you may be able to make a room change. I do believe though that if you speak with her you will be proud of yourself for your personal accomplishment. Regardless, I am sorry for your loss. A comforting item from home as you spread your wings always makes the bad days a little easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions ^.^. My situation is a little different in that i share a common sink/bathroom with five other guys (i'm male too). I only know one of them, as we all live in separate rooms with just one roommate(and i've known mine forever). Everyone else comes and goes each semester so the other four people are brand spanking new. That means i have no way of knowing which guy did it and knocking on each door to ask outright seems weird to me.

One guy did however comment on how cool it was that i made soap , so i assume its not him (i gave him some for his kind words XD).

I guess i'll just give whoever did it a free pass ONCE. If it happens again i may go with the knocking on each door and asking directly route, no matter how weird it seams. The soaps that i have out there currently are much less 'valuable' than my long cured soaps, but i still dont want them tossed, lol.

Last edited:
Tape a note to the wall near it or directly on the soapdish. "This is handmade soap :) and belongs to... (your name here)"

Direct, to the point, non-confrontational, and whomever threw it away should get the hint!

eta: it may be a better idea to just keep all your toiletries in a caddy of some sort rather than leaving anything personal in the bathroom at all. Since you share with so many people, I think I would rather grab a basket on my way in and put it away with my own things when I am done...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back