SoapCalc Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I've been using the Lye Calculator from BB, for formulating my recipes, and getting feedback here from those of you far more experienced with CP than I am. On a whim, I decided to go play with SoapCalc, today, and I noticed something that has me a bit concerned. I'm a worrier, it's what I do. :)

I put in the info for my latest test recipe, and got conflicting water and lye calculations to the ones the BB calculator provided. Which would I be better off following? Both are calculated for a 2:1 ratio of water to lye, but the water amounts are completely different.
BB's calculator calls for 4.15oz of Lye, 9.9oz of water, for my 6% SF recipe. SC calls for 4.22oz of Lye, 8.44oz of water. (Full recipe is posted in the recipe feedback area)

DH thinks I'm finally going crazy... is he *gasp* right, this time? ::gigglesnort:: Maybe I should go get more coffee, and stop worrying about recipes playing up, before I've even tried them.

You will always see differences between calculators as the SAP values are always a range and not a specific number so it depends on which number they use. I can't recommend either of those programs as I don't use them, I have SoapMaker 3 and I would feel like I had lost my right arm without it.

SQB, I was experiencing the same dilemma. My goal next Spring is to be ready for certification testing in MP and CP. One of the requirements is to be able to manually calculate water and lye requirements. I grew up before calculators were allowed in school, and besides being just old, I'm one of the original "Why" children. I want the understanding of the how and why things work when I have an interest in them. That aside, I check my math with my current favorite, soapcalc. I would advise you to find a calculator you are comfortable with and use it consistently. That way your variations will fall within the parameters of that program, and your new recipes will have consistent predicted qualities. I'm finding that as I gain more knowledge about oil qualities, I am getting better at predicting the type of soap from a recipe before I look at the "magical" numbers.

Latest posts

Back