lotion help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made my first lotion. It is kind of a sticky tacky feel, though nice and thick and creamy. I want it to feel smoother and not this tacky. I am totally new at this. Took soap queens recommendations, and with lindys ratios I made this.
76% water
5 % emulsifying wax
4% stearic acid
4% Shea
11% oils...wound up splitting it with 1.84 oz sweet almond and 1 oz extra light tasting olive. Is this the culprit or is homemade lotion like this without more things like btms or whatever that*is???
It's leaving a glistening shine and a residue slightly, though nothing like a homemade body butter does.

I added 1% optiphen and .2% vitamin e from the store, which is made with soybean, vitamin e and coconut oil. This too could be the culprit? It wound up .05 oz total on that. Guess I won't be doing that again!
Any suggestions appreciated.

Everytime I use shea in lotion it feels tacky to me and leaves a slight sheen on my skin, so yesterday when making the batch for my bestie I left it out.. I've never used stearic so have no idea what it brings..
Was out of almond so used my stash of pomace oo and it actually turned to be the best batch to date..

Back