Help! Tried Something New and did not work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rm051562

Reaction score
I have been making soap the easy way, with Glycerin Soap base from Michaels Crafts. But the soap dries my skin so I tried adding some refined coconut oil. The soap bars did set but they are very oily and don't seem to clean well. I would like to try to salvage the soap if I can. Any suggestions? Can I make lye based soap from the glycerin/coconut oil bars? If so, how? Thank for your help.

Sounds like maybe you added too much additional oil. What weight of the base did you use and how much coconut oil did you add? I wouldn't expect an MP base to be able to accept more than 2 or 3% by weight of additional oil. And yes, added oil is going to cut down on the soap's ability to lather and clean, since you'll effectively be tying up some of the soap molecules with the oil you added as soon as you add water and mix them up.

If nothing else works, you might be able to chop them up and add them as confetti to a cold process soap. I wouldn't try to mix them into another MP base, though.

I've found the craft store bases are more drying than the melt and pour bases from soap supply websites. I would definitely suggest getting some from wholesalesuppliesplus or other soap supply websites. They won't need to have oil added to them since they are great bases to begin with.

Latest posts

Back