Count the safety issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford Prefect

Reaction score
I ran across this video on youtube and thought I'd post it as an example of what not to do:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOT-zIL2aw[/ame]

How many bad practices do you see/hear?

I had seen that video and beside that soap would be too drying for my hubby and benonite clay is the one i hate , I do not see anything wrong with technique, What am I missing

IMO, the bucket was too full. Surprised the batch didn't come slopping out on her ungloved hand that she had right on the edge. At one point I thought the bucket was going to come off the counter then I was worried about the mold right on the edge when she was pouring. The worst part, she put that on YouTube for inexperienced soapers to see. YIPE

I didn't make it that far into the video. I was more put off by the bentonite clay usage:

I'm going to do about . . . I don't know. . .um. . . 1, 2 . . . probably around 4 . . . um . . . 4 tablespoons, I guess . . . maybe 1 more.

Nothing like teaching the inexperienced that it's okay to just, um, I don't know . . . wing it.

IMO, the bucket was too full. Surprised the batch didn't come slopping out on her ungloved hand that she had right on the edge. At one point I thought the bucket was going to come off the counter then I was worried about the mold right on the edge when she was pouring. The worst part, she put that on YouTube for inexperienced soapers to see. YIPE

That's four and five.

I didn't make it that far into the video. I was more put off by the bentonite clay usage:

Nothing like teaching the inexperienced that it's okay to just, um, I don't know . . . wing it.

Viewing it as a lack of process control, that's six.

How about that container of lye solution sitting there the whole time until she poured it into her oils? I really hope that's master batched solution, otherwise her Country Crock tub is eventually going to melt from the heat.

Ooohh, you must not have ever seen Nancy Today's videos!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQDs_v0aY5o[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5am3whQJjU[/ame]
And wrap your head around the fact that she has 12K subscribers to her YouTube channel!!

That first video is I believe Jen? who owns BeScented. She can make really pretty soaps, but her videos make me cringe so I stopped watching them eyars ago, especially after about the second one when she would literally have her kids running around, screaming, being loud, obnoxious, and just right up next to her when she was soaping etc., I'm not sure how her videos were never taken down. Maybe like me, people just stopped watching instead of reporting? IDK

I'm not sure about the safety of the plastic she's using, either. My rule is that caustics are in known-safe plastic types, or stainless steel.

The lack of gloves thing...guilty. I'm too clumsy in gloves, and I'm not exactly graceful without them.

However, remove all rings and bracelets. They can catch, get raw soap under them or, in some cases depending on what they're made of, chemically react. That's Safety 101. Ask me how I know that...

However, that bloody pinkie with the scarring? Bandage, please, or you're going to chemically debride that thing. Not to mention the ew factor of having a wound open near soap you're making (although what with lye, that's not exactly a major issue).

I fold in my scent rather than stick blending , which isn't a safety issue, but helps protect you from an accelerating FO or EO.

Get the kid out of the soaping area. You're the adult, he/she is not responsible enough to be around raw soap.

Never, never, never pour or scrape towards you. A slip will send caustic raw soap down the front of you, a flip with the spatula can send it into your face. Always pour to the side or away. That's a good rule for hot items, as well. Ask me how I know that...

Do NOT allow children to play with balls that can fly up and knock over your new, still-caustic soap. In addition to not having the kid in the soaping area as mentioned above, of course.

In general, she moves that mold way too much; every move is a potential spill. Once placed, my mold does not move. I move around the mold.

Latest posts

Back