What do you think? I’m new I’d love some feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saranac who is Sharon? SBHP/stick blender hot process, I watched Tawra do this on her YouTube channel howtomakesoap. I didn’t pay for anything and Tawra says it still has to cure for two weeks. I also watched a lady from c-light candles and soaps who did it.

Saranac who is Sharon? SBHP/stick blender hot process, I watched Tawra do this on her YouTube channel howtomakesoap. I didn’t pay for anything and Tawra says it still has to cure for two weeks.

It's my understanding that SBHP is the invention of Sharon Johnson. At one point or another, there was a pretty expensive shroud of mystery over this process. She sells her ebook on her website. While I'm happy to see that you didn't pay money to learn the process, I will note that 2 weeks probably ain't enough cure time. . . . especially if your goal is to create something for people with eczema.

I'm not knocking the process, or her desire to make money--we all want money! I'm just skeptical of anyone that promises great results in such a short amount of time--for a hefty fee.

(As a side note, her book comes with access to "HP Extreme University". . . I seem to remember something in the news about someone getting into big legal trouble for using the term "University" to make money. . . .)

Saranac, I'm wondering if the DOS may have developed because you used the bar in regular tap water, then set it out for a few months. The commercial soap I was using before making my own developed DOS after I pulled it out of the shower for a couple months. I have very hard water. I had used that brand many times without issue (good ol' Yardley). Same thing happened to a local fair vendor's soap I tried but set aside because of too much CO, but felt guilty throwing out. What puzzles me is that I have 2 of my CP soaps sitting at sinks that have been in use for well over half a year - one closer to 9 months - and no signs of DOS. Maybe I am washing off the layers that have absorbed a little water and dossifying* impurities with regular use.

All that wordiness aside, Artdiva, I think you should try your recipe, but with a low superfat, because that will be bumped up by the yogurt and coconut milk. If it seems like a lot of work, join us in CPville. So easy to make, so pretty, same cure time (4+ weeks).

*:mrgreen:

It's my understanding that SBHP is the invention of Sharon Johnson. At one point or another, there was a pretty expensive shroud of mystery over this process. She sells her ebook on her website. While I'm happy to see that you didn't pay money to learn the process, I will note that 2 weeks probably ain't enough cure time. . . . especially if your goal is to create something for people with eczema.

I'm not knocking the process, or her desire to make money--we all want money! I'm just skeptical of anyone that promises great results in such a short amount of time--for a hefty fee.

(As a side note, her book comes with access to "HP Extreme University". . . I seem to remember something in the news about someone getting into big legal trouble for using the term "University" to make money. . . .)

Oh huh I found it hers is called sjhp I don’t know if it’s different than sbhp. Do you know how long it takes HP to cure?

Saranac, I'm wondering if the DOS may have developed because you used the bar in regular tap water, then set it out for a few months. The commercial soap I was using before making my own developed DOS after I pulled it out of the shower for a couple months. I have very hard water. I had used that brand many times without issue (good ol' Yardley). Same thing happened to fair vendor's soap I tried but set aside because of too much CO, but felt guilty throwing out. What puzzles me is that I have 2 of my CP soaps sitting at sinks that have been in use for well over half a year - one closer to 9 months - and no signs of DOS. Maybe I am washing off the layers that have absorbed a little water and dossifying* impurities with regular use.

All that wordiness aside, Artdiva, I think you should try your recipe, but with a low superfat, because that will be bumped up by the yogurt and coconut milk. If it seems like a lot of work, join us in CPville. So easy to make, so pretty, same cure time (4+ weeks).

*:mrgreen:

Haha Millie I’m about to this who making a sbhp recipe is starting to be to overwhelming for me! Would you use a 3 or 4 super fat instead? Could you look at my second recipe #19 it’s just for cp NOT hp.

Haha Millie I’m about to this who making a sbhp recipe is starting to be to overwhelming for me! Would you use a 3 or 4 super fat instead? Could you look at my second recipe #19 it’s just for cp NOT hp.
I like your recipe as is, without the need for coconut milk or yogurt. If you skip those additives 5% superfat is good. Then start adding in the additives to batches one at a time so you can feel what each one brings to the mix.

Yogurt is all over the place with fat content, then as Brewer George pointed out on another thread, there is the acidity plus proteins that will react with lye, increasing your superfat. I wouldn't know where to begin making those lye calculations precise, but as long as you don't go below 0% superfat you should be safe, knowing it will be higher with the super secret hidden superfat in lye calculators, plus the increase from your additives. 2-3% superfat is probably a good place to start when you aren't sure how much extra you'll be adding.

Saranac, I'm wondering if the DOS may have developed because you used the bar in regular tap water, then set it out for a few months.

That's always a possibility. Except that I'm a geek. When I try other people's bars, I cut them in half and use just 1 half. I then put the other half (without having been used), on my curing rack and I track water loss over time. That piece still had DOS.

And it looks like my ramblings may be moot:

artdiva05 said:
Oh huh I found it hers is called sjhp I don’t know if it’s different than sbhp.

As I noted earlier:

Saranac said:
I've been wrong before, and most certainly am now.

:headbanging:I'll just tuck my tail between my legs and go back to housecleaning.

That's always a possibility. Except that I'm a geek. When I try other people's bars, I cut them in half and use just 1 half. I then put the other half (without having been used), on my curing rack and I track water loss over time. That piece still had DOS.
Clever girl! I always go all in, regrets come later...

I know that you want to try something and it seems so good, people butter up their responses not to hurt your feelings. 33% of Coconut is a lot and there is not way it is not going to dry up the skin especially eczema skin. It will be fast moving, and could be easily over heated,
My family and I we deal with eczema, atopic dermatitis so the soap must be gentle and the same soap I use goes for sale. People are coming back for more so gentle soap is the answer , always target mildness and water must be distilled

I know many people love low coconut oil here, and with good reason. I'm not buttering up my response though - I like coconut in the range of 20-30%. I haven't tried 33%, but I don't think it would be too much for most people. I pester everyone I give soaps to for feedback, and ask if they feel drying. No complaints in that regard, but they sure don't like it when I reduce the bubbles too much! I use a low superfat too: 3-4% for most recipes, with one or two oddball soaps up to 7%.

Still working on it.

This looks like a good starting recipe to me. I’m not sure about the eczema issues, but it will take trial and error to work that out anyway. If you’re anxious to jump in, make 4-5 small batches to separate all the additives and have a batch with them all to compare - plus one without if you have the patience.

recipe at #19 looks ok, as BattleGnome said. But if it's great for very oily skin and dry skin (eczema), well, individual' skin is different. Not everyone with eczema can tolerate the same soap.
And high % of cocoa butter will hinder bubble at first, give it a few months to reach it's best.

Sharon Johnson is not the INVENTOR of putting yogurt to make hot process soap more fluid and workable. I have seen video that YouTuber said her grandma has dump in yogurt for the same reason. If SJHP says soap is ready to use, then I'm not sure how smart and inventive she is, and also the eBook worth that price. eyerolling :headbanging:

recipe at #19 looks ok, as BattleGnome said. But if it's great for very oily skin and dry skin (eczema), well, individual' skin is different. Not everyone with eczema can tolerate the same soap.
And high % of cocoa butter will hinder bubble at first, give it a few months to reach it's best.

Sharon Johnson is not the INVENTOR of putting yogurt to make hot process soap more fluid and workable. I have seen video that YouTuber said her grandma has dump in yogurt for the same reason. If SJHP says soap is ready to use, then I'm not sure how smart and inventive she is, and also the eBook worth that price. eyerolling :headbanging:

THIS!!! I saw the price and rolled my eyes. You get what you pay for. If you're silly enough to pay $70 for an ebook written by a creative yet incompetent soapmaker and think that their soap is the best thing since sliced bread, I have a piece of property for you to look at between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

THIS!!! I saw the price and rolled my eyes. You get what you pay for. If you're silly enough to pay $70 for an ebook written by a creative yet incompetent soapmaker and think that their soap is the best thing since sliced bread, I have a piece of property for you to look at between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

$70 ??!!!

Thank you generous folks here who offer your recipes and techniques for free

Wow, that is a ridiculously expensive Ebook.

Is the property called Neverland where you never get old? [emoji14]

On a second thought, What I said might be too harsh. I know everyone wants to be richer. But introducing a stickblender and call it yours, and making nonsense claims to fool the newbie is a bad thing. Hey, someone might have use stickblender and yogurt in Hot Process soap long ago, but just didn't upload on YouTube.

Back