Avoidance issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You may have figured out that I'm a little nosey. This is the question that entered my mind today:

Are there any topics that you just avoid? Or topics that you want to avoid but can't help clicking on anyway?

I have seen a few posts lately that I almost clicked on, but at the last minute thought, "Nah. Too much potential for a train wreck here! Moving on!" Or I've clicked through and even started a response before deciding I didn't really want to be involved in THAT discussion again.

What about you?

I change my mind about posting replies to threads on a fairly frequent basis, here and other forums I'm a member of. Get halfway through typing it out and realize that what I'm typing isn't anything that will actually contribute to a discussion. Delete! Wish voice conversations were that easy to edit... "Blahblahblah..oh wait, you don't care about this. I don't care about this. Undo!"

Or, like here, come across another newbie who seems to have jumped on the "How hard can it be to make and sell? It's SOAP!" train and I have to remind myself that a- I am a rank amateur myself. And b-I likely would get in trouble for being as blunt as I really want to be with that sort of new poster.

Can't really think of any topics I deliberately avoid at least reading about. There are things I won't talk about, as well as a couple of subjects that just make me go all squicky and twitchy even when other people talk about them.

I'm with you, Kittish. I often type replies and then delete once I realize all I'm doing is rambling. And, I also cringe every time I see a newcomer state that they've already sold every bar from their first batch. But, I certainly haven't been a member of the forum for long, so I never know if it's my place to speak-up on that topic.

Otherwise, I avoid the typical conversations- religion, politics, etc.

Ditto times three. So many deleted replies, and a lot of them directed at 'I'm new to soaping, what happened to the batch I just sold to a store?'. Ughhhh.

I don't mind some forum fighting, but I try to play nice. Here, anyway.

Last edited:
I too delete some replies but its usually because it wasn't helpful or even nice. If a person is in need of help but being argumentative or dismissive, I won't bother even trying to help.

The one subject I avoid like the plague is breast milk soaps, it just grosses me out to no end and I don't want to read about it or even think about.

I think that forums can be very good training for building skills in diplomacy. If I feel strongly about something, it is good practice for me to state my opinion clearly but also diplomatically. Generally speaking, of course - I'm sure there are times I haven't succeeded!

I have a very firm rule with myself about not being rude/ugly/nasty on Facebook. In my posts or in my responses. Arguing politics on Facebook is pointless.

I too delete some replies but its usually because it wasn't helpful or even nice. If a person is in need of help but being argumentative or dismissive, I won't bother even trying to help.

The one subject I avoid like the plague is breast milk soaps, it just grosses me out to no end and I don't want to read about it or even think about.
... Well, that was an interesting trip down the rabbit hole.

Three most divisive topics:
1) newby selling soap
2) natural colourants
3) lard

It's so obvious that I'm pretty sure we get trolls - first time posters who drop a bomb and sit back to watch us all fall over ourselves to jump in and comment.

I don't comment on posts I suspect are from trolls. Other posts I comment once then leave it. Some people don't want to hear other points of view they just want reaffirmation.

The three most divisive topics...

1) Religion
2) Politics
3) What to have on your pizza

What to have on your pizza?

Luckily I never have a problem with my husband and what to order on our pizza. Thankfully. Sometimes he orders a meaty pizza and I get my own olives pizza. Then we have enough leftovers for a couple of more meals, so that works well for us!

What do I avoid commenting on in regards to forums or other social media or even verbally (except when my husband and I are alone together and no one else can hear us)? Religion, especially radically intolerant religious attitudes.

Persecution or abuse of people I will not stay silent about, however. I prefer not to participate in discussions such as those, but when I see it happening, I cannot stand by and be silent, because I feel a moral & societal obligation to intervene.

One topic I should never post on is anything having to do with measuring the pH of soap, especially as an alternative to the zap test. I really shouldn't. I still get sucked in. Just got sucked in today, in fact. But I really shouldn't. <sigh>

Last edited:
ha ha I am half Latin, half native indian. Latin people talk a LOT, they actually all talk at the same time. Most have no measure to say ( or type) what they are thinking ... and I am no exception! :headbanging:

So yes, I often put my foot in my mouth, and in forums like this, I cannot go back and delete it when I regret it! So I try to be more careful .....

One topic I should never post on is anything having to do with measuring the pH of soap, especially as an alternative to the zap test. I really shouldn't. I still get sucked in. Just got sucked in today, in fact. But I really shouldn't. <sigh>

For what its worth, I, for one am very appreciative that you let yourself get sucked in today. The info that you (and also psfred) shared on alkalinity was very informative and helpful. :)

IrishLass :)

I agree with Irish Lass.

In really think it is important that false assumptions are corrected. I personally need these issues reiterated a couple of times before they really sink in.

I also really like to hear the scientific explanation clearly expressed as you do it.
It must be awfully frustrating for you, though. Maybe just comment once a post (for your sanity) then leave those that don't want to learn to be left unenlightened. :)

Watch those trolls, though!

Back