de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes, I remember that discussion about babassu. Interesting indeed. Mine in 80F (yes, around 27C; with AC!)would be clear liquid -- so my deo is a liquidy cream. My babassu solidifies around 73-75F; it is not super hard even then, you can still squeeze out of the container (it came in an upright bottle with a spout), but becomes opaque and vaseline-like consistency.
Anyway, it's interesting. I don't think the consistency makes a whole lot of difference in effectiveness; I like mine whether it's on the solid side or on the liquidy side, as long as you don't mind the application method.
Good luck with experimenting!

Nice, great to hear you have something that works for you! I struggle to use a cream type or liquid deodorant, might be just be a mental block but I can't seem to get passed it, unfortunately. I need at least 30 - 35 to hold up to our summer.

I want to try less than 8% to see if it holds up when travelling. I used 8% and stuck it in my closed car in the sun at 32 C. It did not melt. Now I want to see if it holds up using less wax as I think (could be my imagination) that it decreases the efficiency of the deo with more wax. However, and this may be my imagination as well, but I find I get less white "coloring" of my clothes with the wax. So I want to see if that theory holds true with a bit less wax.

Now up here in Canada even the babassu oil is darn hard, especially in winter. If I could get a paste for everyday use I would be very happy. But the addition of the wax softens it enough that I don't have to nuke it whenever I need to use it lol.

OMG! Kuddos to you for reading the whole blog. I have been with it from the start and even I have a hard time reviewing 🤪

Do you find you can smell body scent with the 8% wax content or just guessing before trying it? I'm keen to have a play around.

The colouring is a pain, I was thinking it didn't really occur with this recipe ? The zinc can mark big white marks if your not careful 😂

Have you tried using a butter-like shea or mango to soften it?

Ya i can get a bit of smell coming through which i just reapply, but without the wax i could go all day without reapplying.

oh i know about zinc stains as my reef safe suntan lotion has zinc, but i found magnesium does the same thing. Not to that degree though. It is not a deal breaker because the deo works great.

Babassu is the key to not getting oil staining your clothes. It is the stains from coconut oil that moved this group away from that medium. Not sure if anyone tried shae, mango, cocoa butter but i sure am not going to reread that thread :shakinghead:

I love this deo - (thanks to the guys here for the inspiration!!) - tried a few tweaks to the original babassu/magnesium hydroxide mix and have added a combination of cetyl alcohol / emulsifying wax NF / castor wax (fully hydrogenated castor oil) to give me the texture/glide/skin feel that I was wanting. My deo is in a cardboard push up tube and it's pretty solid but not solid enough to be a stand alone bar. I did begin with jojoba esters as hardeners and then moved to castor wax (I had a couple of kilos and the jojoba esters are pretty expensive). I'm happy with the castor wax - it's non-comodogenic and doesn't seem to interfere with the deodourising function. Haven't had any staining of shirts but I had a tiny amount of waxy build up on my black camisole after several weeks that washed out pretty easily given an overnight soak. Best of luck with your formula! :)

Hello.

Any insights or experiences on the differences between Magnesium hydroxide, oxide, chloride, citrate, sulfate for deodorant purposes? Are they interchangable?

Thanks

Hello,

Note: food grade pure mag. hydroxide is used, I ate/zap tested some, no sensation, zap or taste at all.

I am attaching pictures of magnesium hydroxide+babassu deodorant in an aluminum container. It appears to react with and dissolve the aluminum over time (2-3 days after 'bottling'), creating black goo on the threads, and probably on the inside walls as well. For testing purposes, I've also done an experiment using aluminum foil in a water + mag. hydroxide 'solution'/suspension. Same results - the alu is blackened/dissolved (8 hours after insertion of foil into water/mgoh). For reference purposes, the other 2 glasses are 1) alu foil in water and 2) alu foil in water+baking soda - those did not blacken the aluminum.

The results are the same if aluminum is put into sodium/potassium hydroxides, but a drastically faster reaction.

alu containers are quite inappropriate it seems for this formulation.

Any similar experiences? Or...opposite ones, with alu being appropriate?

Pic 1: black goo is appearing on the threads of the container.
20210215_084408.jpg

pic3: blackness on lid

20210215_084413.jpg

Pic3: alu foil in (top to bottom) mgoh, water, water and baking soda

20210215_084320.jpg

I'm not entirely surprised by these results. Aluminium can't stand alkaline conditions (that's the reason why you shouldn't wash aluminium pans in a dishwasher) and MgOH is alkaline substance as it has the OH ion there. Didn't realise it was that alkaline but like I said, not entirely surprised. The reason is there.

What I've been more surprised is that aluminium containers don't stand standard creams either. They're supposed to be neutral (never tested the pH myself but that's what I've always read about creams) so that shouldn't do it. I'm thinking about the water in the cream but have no idea why water would be a problem.

Back