beard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
Feel free to think this is gross, lol

I have a co-worker that has a very long go-tee. It is gray and tends to turn yellow. He is curious if I can make a soap to help.

Has anyone ever tried to do this before that can offer up any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Er, I think you mean goatee. :D

The yellowing is the hairs absorbing "pollution" I'd be willing to bet he smokes. So the first answer is to quit smoking!

There is no way to actually make it un-yellow, si I'd say shave it off and start fresh. Then make sure to keep it clean and smoke free.

To mask the yellow he can use blueing like the old ladies used to do. Blueing is an almost ancient laundry secret. It an be hard to fi d but it's in the laundry aisle, prob top shelf. I cannot recall exactly how to use it, but pretty sure it should be diluted. And occasionally those old ladies over do it, which is the root of the description of them as blue haired.

And this may help http://www.livestrong.com/article/16442 ... ray-hair/#

Sorry no soap advice, tho.

Interesting tips. Thanks for sharing that link.

He doesn't smoke, but I think he hangs out in places where people do. It's not overly yellow but just enough for him to notice and want to brighten it up.

Have seen recipes of liquid shampoo with double the usual amount of blue oxide... I'd be scared to turn the poor man into captain bluebeard though :p

He can get a toner at a beauty supply store such as a Sally's. He will want a purple toner to X-out the yellow. You just rub the toner into the hair like hair dye, leave in for about 10-30 mins then wash out. This can be applied to either damp or dry hair, but check the directions on the particular brand to make sure. He may not notice a difference right away and may need to apply this weekly. :) Hope that helps.

TJ said:
He can get a toner at a beauty supply store such as a Sally's. He will want a purple toner to X-out the yellow. You just rub the toner into the hair like hair dye, leave in for about 10-30 mins then wash out. This can be applied to either damp or dry hair, but check the directions on the particular brand to make sure. He may not notice a difference right away and may need to apply this weekly. :) Hope that helps.

This was my suggestion, too. My grandma used this when her hair first started turning gray.

They also have shampoos (same purple concept) that can be used in place of that.

Latest posts

Back