Oatmeal baths?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very much agreed, Faithy.
Last summer my daughter came down with the poison ivy, as she does every summer....and when I took her to the doctor they recommended "oatmeal baths", and that I could get it (Aveno) at the drug store when I picked up her scrip. So I looked at this $8.00 box of 4 pkgs. to see what the ingredients were.....100% collidal oatmeal. So's, I ask the pharmasist what this is and she didn't know, so when I got home, I searched the internet.....
First sight I found was Quaker's site, and they defined collidal oatmeal as finely ground oatmeal....simple as that. I couldn't believe Aveno makes (or charges) so much for simply oatmeal!!! I also read on Quaker's site, that the easiest way to take an oatmeal bath is to just put like a cup or so of whole oats into a piece of (cut and tied) nylon stocking and use it as a "sponge" to wash with. It worked WONDERS for my daughter's skin and really helped sooth her itchies. It was also very simple...didn't have to even grind the oatmeal!!

I now have a question for anyone that can help.....

I have heard from many "older" generation peoples that "LYE" soap is great for poison ivy. (I get a kick out of that.......LYE soap! I even have them ask me for LYE soap, to which I explain that all soap is made with LYE, they are looking for something imparticular).
My question(s).
Is LYE soap that WAS good for poison ivy the SAME LYE soap that was also good for laundry? Is there some particular oil used, like Lard, that makes a better soap for poison or laundry??
I have seen the thread on here where someone made Poison Ivy Soap, but that has a lot of "fancy" ingredients, and I'm sure what my oldtimer's are asking for is a simple, non-fragranced soap.
Any suggestions as to what they mean by LYE soap for poison ivy or for laundry??? (I assume they mean to use as a stain or pretreat kinda thing).
Thanks,

Ok now I am wondering about adding Honey to an oatmeal bath mixture like to be able to sell. Does Honey come in a powdered form? And what about adding scents to it woujld that not make it all clumpy? Many Thanks in advance for the answers.

Krickett

Krickett said:
Ok now I am wondering about adding Honey to an oatmeal bath mixture like to be able to sell. Does Honey come in a powdered form? And what about adding scents to it woujld that not make it all clumpy? Many Thanks in advance for the answers.

Krickett

Yes, there is a powdered honey. Here:
http://www.bulkfoods.com/baking.asp?referrer=goohonpwd

Scroll down a little past halfway & you'll find it.

I just made some milk baths & added cornstarch. I have FO in it & so far, I haven't had any clumping.

Just ordered some stuff yesterday to make milk baths. I'm planning on making two: Goatmilk, Oats and Honey (Goat milk powder, honey powder and finley ground oatmeal in those teabags) and Milk and Lavender (Milk powder, Oatmeal, Lavender EO and Lavender Buds)

Marianne

Those sound loverly!!! I made up Buttermilk & Oatmeal. I'm waiting for my powdered honey to arrive so I can do an Oatmeal, Buttermilk & Honey. I have a few other ideas, just need to order some supplies for those.

I found the cutest li'l 8 oz milk bottles at Hobby Lobby. They have the bale lids, so I bought a bunch to put my milk baths in. Now, if I could just find a wholesale supplier of them. I had already ordered some plastic 8 oz milk bottles that were delivered this a.m.

I really don't want to use plastics, but if I can't find the glass, that's what I'll be using.

The milk bottles just look so cute!!

Was wondering what sort of price one would charge for milk baths or bath salts in those cute little milk bottle jars from Hobby Lobby??

Krickett

Back