~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Eek! Christmas!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #31
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1393 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 3471

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
Me? I'm insufferably pompous.

Edit to add - I am most certainly a special case.
Really TEG?
I think is the Xmas getting into people heads, it is so similar to the thread "advice something"..........

Old 11-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #32
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 809 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 3202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanstein View Post
I am going to go against the flow here... My first 5-6 batches of soap turned out wonderfully. I still have some of the first shave soap I made as well. ... This isn't rocket science. (FWIW...I am a bona fide rocket scientist) it's soap. ... FYI, I gave away most of my first batches. I can't stand waste and couldn't make more until I had room for it. So, I gave away a bunch of it. I am still legally sound. No one has died. Most have asked for more. ... I stand ready for the ensuing onslaught of commentary about my unpopular opinion.
Well said. However, I tried posting something very similar once, actually more times than once, and it didn't make it past the "midnight marauder" that goes around deleting such posts without so much as a "sorryboutthat" or a PM to explain the action. I shall anxiously await the morning to see if you make it through the night.

PS: Of course, they like scientists around here... i.e., my post is more likely to be deleted than yours. I don't speak scientific. Actually hurts my head. XD

ETA: Oh! "Ivan"stein! I just got it! Name:  Smack Laugh.gif
Views: 53
Size:  45.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
If you've only made 2 batches I'm not sure I would make it for other folks as of yet. But that may just be me. I only gave it to family for the first 6 months or so. Then shared with others. However, if you do decide to do it I would keep it simple. 50% lard, 20% CO, Castor 5% and the rest Olive or HO Sunflower. Skip the Beeswax as lard makes a nice hard bar of soap. If made in the next day or so you should be fine for Christmas.
Good on ya, Shari! This thread could have stopped right there and Trixie would have the best advice and a T & T recipe as well! Have a look:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shari's Recipe.png
Views:	53
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	26631

FYI @ Trixie: As OP (Original Poster) you may ask a moderator to delete any and all posts of your choice in this thread... I'm just sayin'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreptrixus View Post
*I want to note that I don't want to use Palm oil because I haven't been able to research an ethical source for it yet.
Soapers Choice has it. Hereís a link:
https://soaperschoice.com/
If you don't need that much, you can check with other suppliers like Brambleberry, Majestic Mountain Sage, WSP (maybe) or ask the group.
Quote:
I have beeswax that I used for another project so I've been trying to find a use for it
We can help! There are many and better uses for beeswax than soap, i.e., lip balm, cuticle balm, lotion bars, herbal salves and balms, candles, Christmas ornaments (google it), dangly car scenters. Just give a holler when ready.
Quote:
I might not have a lot of practical experience as of yet, but that's partially because I like to do extensive research before diving into anything. (True story- I turned down my husband's first marriage proposal because I hadn't researched filing taxes jointly yet.)
Oh, thatís funny!
Quote:
I'm always happy to hear constructive criticism, but you're acting as if I am destined to fail. If you think I'm going to fail, please let me know what specifically I can change to succeed, otherwise, have a little faith in my intelligence and ambition.
Well said. I for one have faith in you and want you to succeed in this mission. After all, you have a MIL to please and whatever assistance I can lend, Iím happy to do so. Iím not here every day to pick up PMs, but you can feel free to Email me: zanypole@yahoo.com

HTH

Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #33
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8296 Times on 3969 Posts
Likes Given: 3822

Unless a post breaks the forum rules in some way, why would a modmin delete it? Not to mention, what kind of world do you live in where it's okay to say "take those words away, I don't like them"? Especially when you look at the content of the posts. The op might not like it, but to ask for them to be deleted (and to actually expect it to be deleted) shows something interesting
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #34
reinbeau
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 602 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanstein View Post
I am going to go against the flow here...

My first 5-6 batches of soap turned out wonderfully. I still have some of the first shave soap I made as well.

If you research as much as you have alluded to, and take reasonable care to follow well established process, I do t see why you couldn't make good soap.

This isn't rocket science. (FWIW...I am a bona fide rocket scientist) it's soap.

My only suggestion is to be sure lye is your "limiting reagent". Here they call it superfat, which just guarantees all the lye is reacted.

FYI, I gave away most of my first batches. I can't stand waste and couldn't make more until I had room for it. So, I gave away a bunch of it. I am still legally sound. No one has died. Most have asked for more.

I stand ready for the ensuing onslaught of commentary about my unpopular opinion.
Totally and completely agree with you.

Facebook