Recipes with no liquid oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had great luck with a 65% lard soleseife.
The "rub" with with lard it's hard to get a good lather.
Up the Coconut oil and add Castor will provide some bubbles.
Increase the SF to minimize the CO harshness along with the benefits of the Soleseife technique.

Wow, I have not seen you in a little while.

100% coconut oil soap

I'm trying this soap and wondering if I can add half vegetable juices half water. Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask. I just joined today!

I have a suggestion, Loida -- Start using lye concentration, not "water as % of oils" for more control over your soap making. What most people would call "full water" when using "water as % of oils" will actually create a recipe with quite a bit less water than you might like for a 100% coconut oil soap.

I'd set the lye concentration at 28% for a 100% coconut oil soap. I've done it at a higher lye concentration (31 to 33%), but I think the soap is more prone to overheating and perhaps cracking when I do.

Thanks DeeAnna the issue I have is this. When the lye concentration is inputed to soapclac, do I use the amount of water shown or am I using extra water for the actual lye solution and then the water shown is the other water? Hope this makes sense lol

Thanks DeeAnna the issue I have is this. When the lye concentration is inputed to soapclac, do I use the amount of water shown or am I using extra water for the actual lye solution and then the water shown is the other water? Hope this makes sense lol

The water in soap calc is the total amount of water in the whole recipe whether it is used to mix the lye, mix colours or substitute for milk or vegetable matter.

If the recipe calls for 320g of water and 100g lye you can mix 100g lye with 100g of water then you have 220 g of water to either substitute with coconut oil or pureed vegetable or mix with colour or just use as water in the recipe.

PenelopeJane said it best, Loida.

Regardless of whether you use "water as % of oils" or "lye concentration" or "water:lye ratio", the water called for in the Soapcalc recipe is the total amount of water-based liquid you should use.

Back