~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Smooth bar of soap?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #1
Anthony0327

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Smooth bar of soap?

Greetings,

So I was at a farmers market this past weekend and saw a soap shop. His soaps were smooth. How can I go about getting a smooth bath of soap. I should rephrase it. How can I go about getting a smooth clean looking bar of soap? Also, is it normal for soap to be slippery when I cut it.

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2267 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

What are you using to cut your bars? The soaps you saw were probably planed to make them smooth.

I'm not sure what you mean by slippery, but no, I wouldn't say my soap is slippery when I cut it.

Susie Likes This 
Old 10-24-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
Anthony0327

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not like wet slippery but I guess you can say oily but I think I may know why. I am using a crinkle cutter and miter box.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2267 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Are you wanting a flat surface rather than the wavy surface you get with a crinkle cutter? A pastry scraper with a miter box will do that. https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...pastry+scraper

Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 789 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 898

Soaps that have wax, although I have not use wax, from what I have seen, look what I would call smoother.

I know from experience that if you use a loaf mold and cut it, is not as "smooth" as if you use a mold with individual bars. The soap that touches the silicone is very sleek.

or perhaps they were MP?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony0327 View Post
Greetings,

So I was at a farmers market this past weekend and saw a soap shop. His soaps were smooth. How can I go about getting a smooth bath of soap. I should rephrase it. How can I go about getting a smooth clean looking bar of soap? Also, is it normal for soap to be slippery when I cut it.

Thanks,

Anthony
Really, I think it has a lot to do with your particular formula and the process you are using whether or not you soap comes out smooth. Also the molds make a difference on smooth surfaces.

For example, hot process soap, for me tends to be rougher unless I carefully plane the surfaces.

Soaping cool tends to result in smoother surfaces than soaping hot, for me anyway.

Some oils or combinations thereof seem to create a more waxy-like surface than others and that surface is really quite smooth.

And finally, the molds... Some silicone molds are so smooth and slick on the internal surfaces, that the sides of the soap that touch those surfaces are always super smooth for me when I soap cool.

However, even if I soap cool, the surface can become somewhat rough if the soap overheats. So I have learned to be careful when I CPOP to use the lowest setting possible on my oven.