Is it just me or...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony0327

Reaction score
Hi,

I can't buy big brand name soap anymore. After reading the label and seeing what they put in soap I actually feel disgusted after using it. I am not sure if it is just me or if anyone that has made soap or is new to soap making (like me) has ever felt this way. :headbanging:

- Anthony

There's not a whole lot put into commercial soap that I don't (or haven't) put in mine - assuming actual soap not a detergent bar.

Sodium lactate - check
EDTA - check
Citric acid - check
Tallow - check
Lard - check
Titanium dioxide - check
Sodium chloride - check
Artificial colors - check
Artificial fragrance - check

The fact is that most of those things are in there because they make soap better, prettier, and/or more appealing. About the only thing relatively common that I don't use is an antibacterial additive.

Yes, but I don't use SLS or any of the other unpronounceable detergents that the commercial bars are loaded with. I do use, or have used, the same list as you.

Yes, but I don't use SLS or any of the other unpronounceable detergents that the commercial bars are loaded with. I do use, or have used, the same list as you.

Recently I was looking for a detergent bar for a specific purpose, and was unable to find one. I was surprised because when I was growing up in the 70's they were more common. Zest, for sure, was detergent. But not any more. Everything it seems is now sodium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium palm kernalate, etc with nary a detergent to be found. Except for the original Dove face bar, that is. It has both soaps and detergents, strangely enough.

I'm sure liquid "soaps" and body washes are a different story, though I've never checked.

As a soaper, I wouldn't say I was 'disgusted' by commercial bars, however, I haven't used or even looked at the ingredients of a commercial bar in well over 15 years, with the occasional hotel stay where I forget to bring my own soap (has only happened twice) and when I did use the hotel soap I thought I was going to scratch my skin off it was so dry, flaky and itchy. .. That's the reason I don't use it, or buy it, or even look at it anymore.

I don't buy commercial soap anymore because I have so much of my own to use up LOL. Even if I stopped making soap right now, I'd have enough for at least the next several years. I don't have anything against syndet bars. I do like using my own soap better because I can use fragrances and ingredients that I enjoy.

I will say that some family members have gifted me soap since I started soapmaking (I don't understand why!) and I do find myself turning my nose up at it a bit. Mostly at the fragrances of commercial soaps - they always smell "old-lady" to me!

I don't buy commercial soap anymore because I have so much of my own to use up LOL. Even if I stopped making soap right now, I'd have enough for at least the next several years...

LOL. I know what you mean. I'm actually relatively low - for me - right now because I just gave 40 bars to some friends. (All those unscented ones like the dragon scale, embossed, and rainbow lines that I made especially for them. ) And I recently gave a lot of the scent sample runs that I didn't really like to my daughters.

That means I ONLY have enough on the rack to last me a year. :mrgreen: Not to mention I still have to make my amethyst, moonstone, and turquoise trials, which will be another 24 bars.

I will say that some family members have gifted me soap since I started soapmaking (I don't understand why!)

I used to get so offended by this, (my mom still will buy me candles, - I've been making candles for 20+ years) and one day I asked her why she insists on buying me something I can clearly make for myself.
Her reply was "well, I figured if you are making them, surely you must really love them, so I wanted to get you something I knew you would like"

It was hard to argue with her reasoning, even if a little misguided, and now I believe people do not do things like that out of spite - just a little misunderstanding, and it really does come from a place of caring and love. (at least IME it was/is)

I used to get so offended by this, (my mom still will buy me candles, - I've been making candles for 20+ years) and one day I asked her why she insists on buying me something I can clearly make for myself.
Her reply was "well, I figured if you are making them, surely you must really love them, so I wanted to get you something I knew you would like"

It was hard to argue with her reasoning, even if a little misguided, and now I believe people do not do things like that out of spite - just a little misunderstanding, and it really does come from a place of caring and love. (at least IME it was/is)

Of course that's why! My SIL bought me a soap that resembled a beach with waves when they went to the east coast. I thought it was very thoughtful that she thought of me while on vacation!
But back to the original question, I dread the use of bought soap because I remember scratching all over when I used to use it.

I never thought about it that way. It at least shows they know what your hobbies and interests are, I guess. Interesting!

My oldest son does the same thing ....:silent:

Back