Body Butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
Lately when I make body butters they have a gritty texture. I normally incorporate stearic acid into my recipe. The batch I made prior to yesterday, I used beeswax.

I made one 4oz jar yesterday and put 1 tablespoon beeswax, texture not so great.

The 2nd batch I didn't beeswax and now my recipe is smooth and creamy. I would like to add a thickener to my formula, any suggestions.

I've only had body butter get grainy if it melts and then re-solidifies. Are you sure this isn't your problem? Is it near a sunny window maybe?

Cocoa butter has varying hardness based on how it's heated and cooled. Look up 'tempering chocolate' for an idea what I mean. I've never seen it confirmed, but it certainly stands to reason that other nut butters would do the same thing.

Cocoa butter has varying hardness based on how it's heated and cooled. Look up 'tempering chocolate' for an idea what I mean. I've never seen it confirmed, but it certainly stands to reason that other nut butters would do the same thing.
Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

Lately when I make body butters they have a gritty texture. I normally incorporate stearic acid into my recipe. The batch I made prior to yesterday, I used beeswax.

I made one 4oz jar yesterday and put 1 tablespoon beeswax, texture not so great.

The 2nd batch I didn't beeswax and now my recipe is smooth and creamy. I would like to add a thickener to my formula, any suggestions.
I use liquid sunflower lecithin to emulsify my lotion/butter. It always gives me a nice smooth texture and the lecithin is really good for your skin as well!

Back