Buttermilk Yeast Bread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luviesmom

Reaction score
1 Package Dry yeast
4½ Tablespoons Sugar
1½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking powder
4½ Cups All-purpose flour (plain flour)
1 Egg, lightly mixed
¼ Cup Butter, melted
½ Cup Flour for dusting
1¾ Cup Warm buttermilk (not hot)
½ Cup Warm water
1 Teaspoon Butter for brushing dough

Made this for my kids. They don't like my sourdough. Good sandwich bread. I baked it at 400 for about 40 minutes in a long loaf pan. A sweeter dough but had great rise.

2017-02-04 16.00.21.jpg

My favorite class in culinary school was artisan bread. I have said before, I believe culinary arts and soap/ bath products go hand in hand. My first year, my chef instructors played a horrible trick on me. For our final in bread, we had to make a sourdough.
I chose to make a sourdough focaicca. I worked weeks to make a natural yeast using grape skins. I left the kitchen the night of our final practice. I had a nice foaming starter. I returned the next morning and it was completely flat. I was devestated.

I went to the chefs crying. "IT WAS FINE LAST NIGHT! how did I go so wrong!" Head chef felt bad, so told me they tricked me and poured flour/salt/water mixture into my original bowl. Phew! Handed me back my bubbley starter
I passed. But sure was mean!

Nice crumb, dense. If you enjoy the Hawaiian style bread you may like this.

20170204_170720.jpg

Mmmm! Thanks for sharing your recipe! I've been making a lot of open crumb breads like no-knead baguettes and Dutch oven loaves. This will be great for a change. What's the rising timeline like?

That was really mean of the chefs. I'd have been so pissed.

I am a cheater now. Use my bread maker on dough cycle. 120 MINUTES. take out. Hand knead dough. Place into loaf pan. Mine was a longer loaf. Allow to rise. I preheat oven now, to feel warm 300 for 5 min. Turn off heat. Place loaf into oven. Allow a rise 20-40 min.

Remove proofed bread. Heat oven to 400. Bake at 400 for 40min.

What a beautiful loaf of bread! There's just something so basic about making bread, isn't there? That yeasty smell, the feel of the dough in your hands, the way your whole house smells as it's baking. And the taste! There's nothing like it. Thanks for this recipe, I love things made with buttermilk. :)

Back