Basic Lotion Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick lotion recipe:

* Oils - 23.2%
* Distilled Water - 64.7%
* EWax - 10%
* Vitamin E Oil - 1.6%
* Liquid Germal Plus - 0.5%

Melt oils & Ewax and hold for 20 minutes @ 170*. Add water and LGP. Mix then add in your preferred fragrance at the level you prefer. I use a SB to get it well mixed and then pour into bottles.

It really is that easy....

Lindy, if I used cocoa butter for some of the oils, would it be a thicker lotion or would that change the consistency at all because the majority of the recipe is water? Thank you!

YOu can definately use a butter as part of your oils. It will make the lotion thicker so you'll want to start at a low percentage and then increase as you get a feel for this.

Excellent, than you for this recipe, I am so thrilled to get to try this!

You can go to your grocery store for your oils, the rest you can buy at pretty much any of your regular soap supply stores. I really like lotioncrafters because Jenny is knowledgeable and very, very helpful. Her products are fresh (yes that makes a difference with preservatives and all other ingredients). Very impressed with her and her company.

I'm glad to help...

Some people will use 5% stearic & 5% Ewax - I've seen recipes with as low as 5%, by having the 10% you have the room to play with thickness of the lotion until you're happy. This recipe makes a nice thick lotion that is pretty much failure proof.

If you want a thinner lotion you can drop the ewax to 5% and add the other 5% back into your oils or into stearic acid.

With the ewax this high it's harder to break the emulsion with preservatives like Optiphen Plus, or if you are using really light oils.

I adjust my ewax depending on what oils I'm using, which preservative, what the lotion is going to be used as, how much butter content I am going to have, etc. There is nothing more disappointing than having your first lotion fail because the emulification didn't hold. At least that's my opinion. This is meant as a starter recipe to get your feet wet so to speak.

Mostly for me I like to teach something I know will work and then once they have their feet wet with that, then move them into more complicated formulations. Personally I seldom go over 6% Ewax unless I'm using Optiphen which can break the emulsion...

Here is another recipe that uses less ewax:

* Soft Oils - 21.6%
* Butters - 5.5%
* Distilled Water- 33.7%
* Aloe Vera Extract - 33.7%
* EWax - 5%
* Liquid Germall Plus - 0.5%

I use Optiphen Plus which is Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol and Sorbic Acid. But I believe Optiphen is Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol.

I so glad to find out that Optiphen can cause problems with emulsion. All this time I thought I was doing something wrong so I gave up trying to make a recipe I had formulated. I'll have to try it again with a different preservative and see if it will stay emulsified.

Very useful information

Hi,

I am glad to get such useful information like this.

Thanks again.

spammy link deleted - the mod team

Read through the forum - there are suggestions on starting points and places to find recipes.

Back