~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > bubble bars

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
sandra

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default bubble bars

Hi all, just wanted to start by saying I'm a complete newbie but am learning so much from all of you. Thanks for all the help.
I have a question about bubble bath bars. I've made a couple of batches but so far none of the batches had long lasting bubbles. Is there a trick that I don't know about. My kids are a disappointed that my bars aren't as good as LUSH's (which I refuse to buy, too much $$$)

Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Tabitha

Liked 98 Times on 33 Posts

What are you using as a detergent? I rember reading somewhere on this forum that Lush uses 3 dif detergents in theirs. Search Lush & you may find the thread. I thnk there are 2 Lush threads floating about.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
sandra

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default bubble bars

Thanks for responding so quickly. I looked up LUSH's bubble bars. They have: sodium lauryl sulphate, lauryl betaine (is that the same as coco betaine?) and cocoamide DEA (which I have on order but haven't received yet). I'll have to try that combo. Thanks for the help. If I ever get a recipe that holds its bubbles I'll post it for everyone.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
carebear

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: bubble bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
Thanks for responding so quickly. I looked up LUSH's bubble bars. They have: sodium lauryl sulphate, lauryl betaine (is that the same as coco betaine?) and cocoamide DEA (which I have on order but haven't received yet). I'll have to try that combo. Thanks for the help. If I ever get a recipe that holds its bubbles I'll post it for everyone.
where do you get the cocoamide DEA? The Herbarie where I get my surfactants don't have it.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
starduster

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: bubble bars

Quote:
Hi all, just wanted to start by saying I'm a complete newbie but am learning so much from all of you. Thanks for all the help.
I have a question about bubble bath bars. I've made a couple of batches but so far none of the batches had long lasting bubbles. Is there a trick that I don't know about. My kids are a disappointed that my bars aren't as good as LUSH's (which I refuse to buy, too much $$$)

You tell em from their Aunty Mary here in Ossie land.
There is no way you are going to buy Lush when you can make it.
They will have to go out to work and buy it them selves, after they clean their teeth, brush their hair and make their beds.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
sandra

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default bad bubble bars

I ordered the cocoamide DEA from chemistrystore.com. And to Auntie Mary, that's exactly what I told them - get a job and we can shop at LUSH otherwise take a quicker bath. Maybe the cocoamide DEA is the trick. I'll let you know. P.S. Is it nice and warm in Australia now? I'm so cold here in Connecticut. I'm tired of being cold. Sigh!!! I know it could be worse, I'm originally from Montreal, Canada. But even so, I'm so ready for spring.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
starduster

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: bad bubble bars

Quote:
I ordered the cocoamide DEA from chemistrystore.com. And to Auntie Mary, that's exactly what I told them - get a job and we can shop at LUSH otherwise take a quicker bath. Maybe the cocoamide DEA is the trick. I'll let you know. P.S. Is it nice and warm in Australia now? I'm so cold here in Connecticut. I'm tired of being cold. Sigh!!! I know it could be worse, I'm originally from Montreal, Canada. But even so, I'm so ready for spring.
Tis warm. Actually it's the middle of summer.There has been rain for a few days and that dropped the temerature delightfully.Even now it is the middle of the day and down ,dear I say that , to only 28 degrees.
What about puttiing some sugar in.I only just tried that and it works well in cp soap.I don't know about a bubble bar.But I can't think of anything a kid would like better than a heap of bubbles.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
craftykelly

I have used slsa, coco betaine, bicarb and glycerin with GREAT success! A huge hit with the kids