Man scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Men toiletries

Most men I believe are Homophobic SMH... If it has sugar they squint. My hubby squinted one day when i said Hey let scrub your lips with a sugar scrub. All he said was HMM Do go telling anyone i used this stuff LMAO. He did say his lips felt so soft like they did when he was younger.

However salt scrubs he is okay with ? Go figure.

I'm curious, so please don't think it's catty - Do you really think it's the sugar that men think is less masculine? I would think it's more about the scent. I can't use my hubby as an example because he uses whatever I put in the shower for him.

I recycle all of my soap trimmings as well. They all go in a 'Soap Scraps' Tupperware-type container until there is enough to make a pound or two or three. Usually it's not pretty (last batch resembled raw breakfast sausage) but they are lovely to use.

On with the scrubs, that is something I haven't played with yet, but I am imagining my son would love them. He works in insulation and has worked in asbestos removal, and even though they 'suit up', he still says it feels like all that mess gets in his skin.

I recycle all of my soap trimmings as well. They all go in a 'Soap Scraps' Tupperware-type container until there is enough to make a pound or two or three. Usually it's not pretty (last batch resembled raw breakfast sausage) but they are lovely to use.

On with the scrubs, that is something I haven't played with yet, but I am imagining my son would love them. He works in insulation and has worked in asbestos removal, and even though they 'suit up', he still says it feels like all that mess gets in his skin.
Color your rebatch with charcoal and it will look better than spam or sausage

I make a scrub with pumice and orange eo. Husband is a machinist and he and his co-workers love it.
S_7295_L.jpg

Sorry, not trying to be snarky. I'm going through a "branding" exercise myself and it's just frustrating.

I don' think guys will care whether it's sugar, coffee, or pumice as long as it gets the job done and appeals to a manly sense of humor.
That.

Guys are gross. They like gross and funny things. Farts are funny. Anti-Money Butt Powder is popular because it's funny and gross:
500.JPG

Some ideas:
  1. Ditch Scrubber
  2. Funk Fougere
  3. Funk Be Gone
  4. Clean up da' Funk
  5. Man Polish
  6. True Grit - and ya got yer picture right there
  7. Pumice me parts!
  8. Pull my finger Pumice Scrub
  9. Smell my Finger Scrub
  10. (In a Schwarzenegger voice:) Scrub my back
  11. Dirty Harry's Ditch Scrub
  12. Crud Crusher
It's amazing how creative you can get while sipping a nice small-batch Bourbon. :)

S_7295_L.jpg

Sorry, not trying to be snarky. I'm going through a "branding" exercise myself and it's just frustrating.

That.

Guys are gross. They like gross and funny things. Farts are funny. Anti-Money Butt Powder is popular because it's funny and gross:
500.JPG

Some ideas:
  1. Ditch Scrubber
  2. Funk Fougere
  3. Funk Be Gone
  4. Clean up da' Funk
  5. Man Polish
  6. True Grit - and ya got yer picture right there
  7. Pumice me parts!
  8. Pull my finger Pumice Scrub
  9. Smell my Finger Scrub
  10. (In a Schwarzenegger voice:) Scrub my back
  11. Dirty Harry's Ditch Scrub
  12. Crud Crusher
It's amazing how creative you can get while sipping a nice small-batch Bourbon. :)

I call my foaming scrub Dirty Deeds Pumice Scrub. It's great on feet and hands.

I'm around midwestern men who like my CO soap swirled with charcoal, comfrey, and black walnut hull (hint: it looks like hunting camo); the charcoal bars made with any oils; anything with citrus EO or FO (especially orange); and plain white soap with lots of lather.

I don't think homophobic is the right word - it didn't sound like he was afraid of homosexuals!

As has been said, the key is not the ingredients but the branding and the way it is marketed. I think men would happily use a sugar scrub, as long as it is not called 'angel shine skin super lovely sugar scrub'. I don't know if it needs to go so far over to 'dirty bum lumberjack scrub' either. Just say what it does

I don't think homophobic is the right word - it didn't sound like he was afraid of homosexuals!
I think we lack a good word for what men are and why we think like we do. Twenty years ago it would have been perfectly descriptive and universally understood if you said "I don't want to look gay." (I am not pining away for days when we were less respecting of diversity, just making a point.)

A lady can use a man's deodorant, but a man would not be caught dead wearing "Secret." Wearing pink, "messenger" bags (it's a purse), makeup, floral scents, pedicures, manicures, spa treatments, driving a Miata, all of these are seen as feminine and most men would not broadcast that they do/wear/use them. My wife drags me to get a pedicure (never a "pedi!") before vacation so my feet don't look so bad. Yes it feels great. No I would not tell a random group of men "I have to go get my pedi", whereas "I have to go to the barber" is completely "manly."

So, I don't know why we're so .. femininephobic? We don't have a good word for it. We're just dumb men, pity us.

I personally don't care for sugar scrubs, not because they are "girly" (I'm a girl) but because I feel like they would leave me sticky. I like salt scrubs, salt bars, bars with oatmeal. I just don't care for sugar for scrubbing.

I don't think it's homophobic to want to be perceived as "manly" - whatever a particular man's definition of "manly" is.

FWIW, the men around me never choose the camo bar scented with manly fragrance. They pick vanilla or peppermint. The women go CRAZY over the manly bar. Hint - the FO is "Sexy Man".

"...I feel like they would leave me sticky..."

But they truly aren't sticky. You rinse a sugar scrub off with water, just like a salt scrub, so the effect is exactly the same except no irritation from salt.

"...I feel like they would leave me sticky..."

But they truly aren't sticky. You rinse a sugar scrub off with water, just like a salt scrub, so the effect is exactly the same except no irritation from salt.

Intellectually I know you are right - but for whatever reason a salt scrub is "cleansing" in my mind and a sugar scrub is not. Plus I think about bacteria etc that like to eat sugar but don't eat salt.

Latest posts

Back