Body Butter Greasiness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents about mixing...

I usually makes smaller batches so the stand mixer isn't suitable. The first time I whipped it with my hand mixer, I didn't think it was ever going to finish. Then I found a whisk attachment and the difference it made was amazing (we're talking like 5 minutes vs 30+)

Here's an example of the whisk attachment (although the mixer I have has two)

41t-LXYG3CL.jpg

I do think there's a slight difference in the consistency, it's a little more airy i guess. Might be worth a try if you're doing it often.

I hope you find it again:)

Do you use preservatives in the body butter with arrowroot powder? I mean in those with no water. My friends love my body butters, so if they like something with the starches better, I want to give them something safe. I just got my tapioca starch and corn starch from Amazon. I think I'm going to use the tapioca.

I use tapioca starch in my anhydrous body butter and I do not use a preservative.

My two cents about mixing...

I usually makes smaller batches so the stand mixer isn't suitable. The first time I whipped it with my hand mixer, I didn't think it was ever going to finish. Then I found a whisk attachment and the difference it made was amazing (we're talking like 5 minutes vs 30+)

Here's an example of the whisk attachment (although the mixer I have has two)

41t-LXYG3CL.jpg

I do think there's a slight difference in the consistency, it's a little more airy i guess. Might be worth a try if you're doing it often.

I'm curious... Why would any body butter need to mix for 30 minutes? Mine has always come together in 2 or 3 minutes?

Has anyone made tallow balm? It is truly divine! I prefer grass fed tallow, as the nutrient content is higher than commercially produced tallow. But add a little liquid oil and whip and you've got heaven! Its standard to use olive oil at a 1:8 ratio. But here's my recipe that I'm so so in love with. And I can't wait to use it the next time I'm expecting!

6parts tallow
1part olive oil
1part aloe vera

Whip it and add essential oils. Palmarosa is great for hydrating and healing skin.

I'm curious... Why would any body butter need to mix for 30 minutes? Mine has always come together in 2 or 3 minutes?

The whipped butter I make takes that longed to get the whipped consistency. Just incorporating it would take no time but the fluff does. Here's the video I based my recipe/technique on:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swz-pE2a_GU[/ame]

But here's my recipe that I'm so so in love with. And I can't wait to use it the next time I'm expecting!

6parts tallow
1part olive oil
1part aloe vera

The thing that worries me with that recipe is the aloe vera. Isn't aloe vera water-based? That means emulsion, which means it needs a preservative.

Good question. I'm not sure. It whipped together so nicely. I'll keep my eye on it. With tallow being very stable and a majority of the ingredients, would it help? How long of a shelf life would it have with the aloe?

I quickly skimmed the articles and will thoroughly study them later when I can focus. But can any of you tell me if a natural preservative exists? Either I add a natural preservative or I remove the aloe all together. I'm so bummed about that. It really is a lovely lovely cream as is.

Making Skincare is your best resource for evaluating the many different types of preservatives commonly used by handcrafters. She reviews "more natural" and "less natural" products, so I really recommend that guide as a good place to begin.

The problem with your focus on "natural" is there is no one accepted definition of what the word means. What one person thinks is "natural" is totally unacceptable to another and after all the arguing stops, there's still no clarity. You're on your own to figure out what is "natural enough" for you, I'm afraid.

A soap maker acquaintance of mine in southern Minnesota doesn't sell any water-based creams for precisely this reason. Shanna only makes anhydrous products -- lip balms, butters, and the like -- because they don't require a preservative.

Thank you. Yes I started with just the tallow and olive oil mix. It's great alone and is my definition of natural. Natural enough to eat :) whole food for your skin!

Latest posts

Back