Loaf Molds and Cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroknArrw

Reaction score
What kind of loaf molds and Cutters does everyone use?
The more videos I watch; the more things I see. One video had nice cutter from Etsy but they can cost an arm and a leg.

Thank you

I've just almost completely switched to silicone molds. Easy to use and easy to clean. I've got several plain rectangles, plus 15 or 20 single molds. Got most of my molds from Amazon. At the moment I'm using a wire cheese cutter with a miter box for cutting, but it doesn't work super well with tall bars.

That answer totally depends on what kind of soaping you are doing as well. Are you just making small batches for you and your family or are you making lots and lots of soap. I use silicone lined wood molds from Brambleberry and Nurture (mostly use the Nurture molds now). I have 2 soap cutters from Bud Hafner on Etsy. I have a Steel Multibar Cutter and and Single arm cutter.

I have a couple of silicon molds, a few individual guest size bar molds, and a large wooden mold that my hubby made. I love them all for different reasons. I use a plastic miter box that I can just toss into the dishwasher to clean up, with either a wavy potato cutter, or a bench scraper to cut the soaps with. The miter box cost me $14.99 from Amazon, the wavy cutter cost me $11 from Walmart, and the bench scraper cost me $8 from Walmart. I am a hobby soaper, so keeping cost down is important.

I converted to silicone molds after I tried my first one, many years ago. Now, they're much more affordable, and I always hated folding freezer paper, so it was an easy choice for me. I bought a multi bar cutter, and yes, it was expensive, when I started selling, so that my bars would be uniform. If I were not selling, and just making soap for myself and my family and friends, I'd slice it with a knife.

Personally, I don't like the way my bars end up looking if I cut them with a knife or bench scraper. The loaf always seems to slip a bit, even with me trying to hold it steady, and the bars wind up wider at the top than at the bottom. I get much smoother faces and even bars with a wire cutter.

I bought a plastic miter box from the Hardware Store (Lowes) for $4.99 and use a long thin knife to cut the soap. I get nice straight even cuts now.

I used to use acrylic moulds, but I changed for silicone lining and I'm just loving it, is super easy to unmould! The cutter I got one from Etsy and it was quite expensive but it reduces the amount of time when cutting my soaps, so I don't regret I got it!

I prefer wood molds with a silicone liner. I got mine on Amazon. I also got my cutters on Amazon. One is an adjustable cutter with a beveler/planer on the bottom and the other is a wire cheese slicer that I glued 2 wooden blocks to. The wooden blocks act as guides for me.

Back