Nag Champa FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heika

HiMark Soaps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After avoiding this scent for as long as I could, I am finally caving to the many requests I have gotten for it. Any suggestions on a good one with a low vanillin content? Oh, and phthalate free.

As much as I really do not like WSP, I find their Nag Champa to be the best I have found

I am not a huge fan of WSP either, but there are some things that I find at a better price there than anywhere else. Thank you for the recommendation, I will pick up a bottle. And, lock the resulting soap in the garage, where I don't have to smell it. It can take the spot right next to the pine tar soap. :p

I get my OMH from Sweet Cakes but might have to try a sample from Pure Fragrance Oils - thanks! Some others that I use and highly recommend are Sunwashed Linen, Stress Relief and Dragon's Blood. Stress Relief is a bit finicky so I advise soaping at low temps, don't discount your water AND make sure to add a little bit of your warmed oil to the fo before adding it to your soap batter, otherwise it will rice on you.

I made Nag Champa from WSSP and it gave me a funky brown. I put in other colors with it and they looked funky too. I loved the smell but didn't not sell it. Maybe next time I'll use darker colors.

I get my OMH from Sweet Cakes but might have to try a sample from Pure Fragrance Oils - thanks! Some others that I use and highly recommend are Sunwashed Linen, Stress Relief and Dragon's Blood. Stress Relief is a bit finicky so I advise soaping at low temps, don't discount your water AND make sure to add a little bit of your warmed oil to the fo before adding it to your soap batter, otherwise it will rice on you.
Thanks for the tip! Didn’t know about that one ;-)

WSP's Nag Champa is the only Nag I use and is the best I have found. It soaps well, discolors to a light to med brn which is workable with bright colors. Pure Fragrance Oils Dragon Blood is the closest there is to mine, but it discolors to a very dark brown. Nag and DB are fantastic mixed, which I found out after a member here mentioned using them mixed mix. Before using either fragrance pour off what you want for colors before adding the fragrances

Entries from the SMF Fragrance Oil Review. If you see a simple "yes/no" answer, the first is whether the FO accelerates and the second is whether it discolors.

Wholesale Supplies Plus Nag Champa
Woodsy, herbal
Sticks very well
Accelerates? no
Discolors? Y
Very close to incense. Sticks very well. Ordered more. CP
joellcox

spicy, musk
Strong. Sticks really well
Accel: N
Disc: Y; dark beige
This soaps wonderfully, but it does discolor. The scent is strong, complex and sticks really well! I use this a lot. Not sure about people having issues, as of 10/4/16 it still has sticking power every time I use it.. CP
mechanolatry

Warm, incensy, unisex
Sticks like glue
Accel: N, easy to work with
Disc: Y
Dead on to the incense. I like Nag Champas, have tried a lot of them, and this is my favorite. Great scent, sticks like glue. Recent reviews seen elsewhere say that it recent batches are not sticking as well though (recipe reformulation?) Hope this is not true. CP, MP
not_ally

Southern Garden Scents (now merged w Pure Fragrance Oils) Nag Champa
earthy
Accel: low temps ?
Disc: i colored brown
Wonderful Right on Scent CP
cwarren

Peak Fragrance Nag Champa
Accel: no
have received requests if you like Nag it's great cp
loveit_latherit

Peak Fragrance nag champa
unisex
Disc: BIG TIME
very nice nag, not overpowering..soft and I agree with loveit. 1 oz ppo cp needs vanilla stabilizer
scouter139

Nurture Soap Supplies Nag Champa
incense
0.8 oz ppo (5%)
Disc: Unknown, colored batter
Used .8 ppo. Had plenty of time for a nine bar peacock (with the entire slab being poured via squirt bottles). I don't have another supplier's Nag to compare it to, but it smells like just like dusty incense from a headshop. Not that that is a bad thing... I'm not IN LOVE with it, but all my kids and their boyfriends claimed bars as soon as they came out of the mold. Very surprising since "hippyish" is not what they normally go for CP
snappyllama

Nature's Garden Nag Champa
warm
no
light tan
stronger than peak's nag 1 oz ppo..still strong after 6 months cp
scouter139

Fragrance Buddy Nag Champa
powdery & earthy
no
no
doesn't smell like the incense but like it much better than the NDA version CP
doriettefarm

No
not sure yet
Smells like cross of F&M and patchouli CP
nsmar4211

Incense
Very light
no
no
Very light, doesn't remind me of Nag Champa CP
Oliveoil2

Bramble Berry Nag Champa
Earthy, spicey, woodsy
I like it better OOB
2 months, still sticking well
no
In soap the smell of anise really comes out. I liked it better OOB. But it's still pretty good soaped. CP
dixiedragon

Bramble Berry Nag Champa
Unisex Warm
Smelled medicinal to me
n/a Colored
Did not like this, smelled medicinal to me. Really like the scent of NC, my favorite is WSP's, much better and truer than this version. mp
not_ally

I third WSP Nag Champa. I did have something weird happen with my batches, trying to get around the discoloring I used Vanilla Stabilizer. The first batch I used WSP CP stabilizer, and it turned dark dark brown and is weeping a brown liquid. I made a second batch with BCN's CP stabilizer, same dang thing happened. My next batch I will go back to adding TD to my lye water, I use a bright teal, yellow, orange and brown in my design, with the end result only a light "dusting" of discoloration (not sure how to describe it, but the colors stay intact with a muted effect). Moral of the story: don't use VS with WSP Nag Champa.

Back