human bed sores vs guinea pig sores

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinactine = tolnaftate? Not clotrimitazole (Lotrimin)?

I assume cream is better than spray?

Apply it where? Bottoms of feet only?

Apply how often?

I'll work on getting pictures.

Last edited:
It's in the foot care section usually.... this stuff http://www.tinactin.com/
tolnaftate version yes... you can use the generic versions but make sure it's the same ingredient. It's the antifungal you want.

Cream, the spray would get everywhere and is powdery not to mention the hissing would probably scare the scrap out of her LOL. Put it on twice a day if possible, once if that's all you can do. To apply, just put a little on your finger and wipe the affected areas of the feet (don't need to slather it on). Obviously if her feet are dirty clean em first. Rub it in if she lets you :).

Fungal infections can be tough, so I'd give it two weeks. At least the tinactin is cheap!

Out of curiosity, what pain med did they give?

tolnaftate version yes... you can use the generic versions but make sure it's the same ingredient. It's the antifungal you want.

Cream, the spray would get everywhere and is powdery not to mention the hissing would probably scare the scrap out of her LOL. Put it on twice a day if possible, once if that's all you can do. To apply, just put a little on your finger and wipe the affected areas of the feet (don't need to slather it on). Obviously if her feet are dirty clean em first. Rub it in if she lets you :).

Fungal infections can be tough, so I'd give it two weeks. At least the tinactin is cheap!

Tolfanate is available in a liquid spray as well as the powder spray, and Walmart has a Great Value version of the spray liquid that is really, really cheap.

Just a question, since I don't have guinea pigs. Would some sort of diaper rash cream be better as an occlusive against urine scalding on the feet?

UPDATE: Treated her feet for with Tinactin for 3 weeks. No change. Found another exotic vet so brought Abby in to see him. Good news is her feet are actually fine; for unknown reasons many guinea pigs and rabbits have these red feet their whole lives. She's not in pain.

However, he found something in her abdomen and did an ultrasound. He's on the fence about doing exploratory surgery because it's so risky for pigs. She has no signs of ill health - everything else is it great shape. She was spade as a youngster so it can't be ovarian cysts. Not sure what to do next.

How old is piggy ? I think that would determine what you do next. Sometimes it's not the surgery that's a problem, it's the anaesthetic they don't get through.

That means she's just past middle age. I'd just keep an eye on her, if she's happy, healthy and eating that's all you can expect. If the vet thinks exploratory surgery is not such a good idea, then let it go.

Back