Soap for greasy/oily hair, help please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually made some yesterday...before reading all these posts!! I added acv to lower ph. I've now got a handful of not quite hard greasy looking bars. So I guess I'll grate them up with my other failed batches :lol:

Adding ACV will only up the superfat, not lower the ph of soap. They are probably not hard because of the ACV depending on how much you added. I do use distilled vinegar as water full or partial water replacement but add in the necessary extra NaOH to form Sodium Acetate which makes a harder bar.

Adding ACV will only up the superfat, not lower the ph of soap. They are probably not hard because of the ACV depending on how much you added. I do use distilled vinegar as water full or partial water replacement but add in the necessary extra NaOH to form Sodium Acetate which makes a harder bar.
Thanks for explaining this. I’m still learning the science...but is fascinating.

What I have learnt for this forum is not to waste time and oils making a shampoo soap!! A friend had asked me to make her one, but I’ll tell her what I’ve found out here. She has gorgeous long hair, so I’ll warn her to stop buying shampoo bars and stick to the Syndet ones. Thanks everyone for the advice :thumbs:

I know this is an old thread, but I’m so glad I read it. With the popularity of shampoo bars rising, I was thinking of making a shampoo soap bar. I’ve now decided against this idea, as I don’t want to be responsible for someone’s hair being damaged. I had read about the ph level for hair and scalp so was already a bit sceptical, but having read people’s experiences I’m more convinced, much as I love soap, I won’t be using it on my hair. Thank you

Yes! Me too! I have actually been using a shampoo bar but won’t be using any longer. I have noticed my scalp being itchy and my hair being dull. I’m so glad I have been able to read these experiences

Back