HARD bar recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk3482

Reaction score
I'm looking for more inspriation on a soap recipe. I would like to make a harder bar. Like 41 - 48 on the hardness scale but I don't want it to be too cleansing because I have dry skin. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they would like to share?

Thanks!

I suggest you sit down with soapcalc and just start working with oils and numbers until your happy with the results.

I'm not posting a specific recipe because I have no idea what oils you currently have or what your preferences are.

But yes it is possible. Personally I think 40 is plenty hard on the scale. And I like to see the cleansing number around 16-17 with a maximum of 19. And conditioning at least 54-57.

I have been working with oils and numbers on the soap calc and I have some ideas but I wanted opinions, suggestions and inspiration from others that have made harder bars. The soap calc doesn't give me that.

It doesn't matter what I have on hand because if someone is nice enough to post a recipe that I really like, I'll just buy what I need.

I appreciate that you gave me the numbers that you prefer. Thank you.

using lard in your recipe will harden your soaps up real nice.

try this ...

3/4 C lard
3/4 C shortening
1/2 C coconut oil
1/4 C lye
3/4 C water or goats milk (frozen chunks)
fragrance as desired

use cold proces method...you will have a hard, nicely pure white soap

60% lard
20% coconut oil
20% olive oil

with a 5% superfatting, I use the following measures:

450g lard
150g olive oil
150g coconut oil
106g lye
250ml water

This recipe gives a soap with the following properties:
hardness 44
cleansing 14
condition 51
bubbles 14
creamy 30
INS 156

beautifulbay said:
using lard in your recipe will harden your soaps up real nice.

try this ...

3/4 C lard
3/4 C shortening
1/2 C coconut oil
1/4 C lye
3/4 C water or goats milk (frozen chunks)
fragrance as desired

use cold proces method...you will have a hard, nicely pure white soap

When measuring out you should be using proper scales and not a cup, in such a small batch it is so easy to overmeasure the lye you would only need a small extra amount and you'd be looking at lye heavy soap. Please never ever use cups to measure your ingredients, but invest into a good set of scales.
Etelka

For me, the best way to increase the hardness is the beewax, take your favorite recipe, add a little bit ... and voila!

For me......I can get a really rock hard bar with about 75% tallow or lard, 20% coconut, and about 5% castor.

Up the superfat to about 7-8% and it will also be a very mild soap.

whisks said:
can the lard be replaced by palm oil?

Sorry for the late response, but yes. Not an issue at all.

You can also make a weapon hard, but mild bar using about:

40% Palm
35% Olive
20% Coconut or PKO
5 % Castor

lecheymiel said:
For me, the best way to increase the hardness is the beewax, take your favorite recipe, add a little bit ... and voila!

What a great idea. I am going to have to try this.

Oil instead of lye? Glycerin base alternative???

So, you can use oil instead of lard or lye to make soap? Im hearing many different things and Im new to making soap as well. Im looking for an inexpensive and more natural way to make soap just to experiment safely. I also read something somewhere about using glycerin soap as a melt and pour base. I dont know if thats true or not and if it is, will I be able to produce bars with a glycerin base? Like I said, Im new. :)

Re: Oil instead of lye? Glycerin base alternative???

KayleyC said:
So, you can use oil instead of lard or lye to make soap? Im hearing many different things and Im new to making soap as well. Im looking for an inexpensive and more natural way to make soap just to experiment safely. I also read something somewhere about using glycerin soap as a melt and pour base. I dont know if thats true or not and if it is, will I be able to produce bars with a glycerin base? Like I said, Im new. :)

Unless I'm not reading it correctly, but yes you always need lye to make soap. "No lye, no soap and that's no lie." You can use oil, or lard, or oil & lard, but you always need lye.

Back