Creative Cost-Effective Containers for Shave Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making some shave soap for Christmas gifts. It's my first attempt, but thanks to you all there are some great recipes on here, so I'm not worried about the actual soap. I'm more interested in how to package it in a way that is attractive yet practical. As far as the shape of the soap, I can do rectangular bars, 3.5" rounds or pipe it into bowls. I would love to place the bars in a shallow bowl with a shave brush, but WOW are wooden bowls expensive. Any suggestions on how to package or where to start looking? I've never personally used a shave brush, so I'm honestly not even sure how it works exactly to know best how to package it to prevent slippage, etc. Y'all are always so creative and ready to help, so please know, in advance, that you are very much appreciated!

I would put it in the containers directly - it sounds like you are doing a harder soap, mix of KOH and NaOH, right? From the slow cooker, put it in to the containers rather than a larger mould.

You want something wider rather than taller. You want it big enough so that you get the amount of soap you want in there, but with some space from the top of the soap to the top of the container (swirling when there is no lip to start off with means a bit of a mess!). Something hand-sized (manly hands!) is ideal to be honest.

Material - anything, really. Glass, ceramic, plastic or wood. Bear in mind that it will be with slippery hands and what is usually a hard bathroom floor, so I would go for plastic or wood. As it is gifts, plastic tubs seem to be the best bet.

I'd get bowls or mugs from the thrift store.

Bob Evans mashed potatoes come in a package of 2 single servings - 6 ounces each. The bowl they come in has the 5 on the bottom.

BTW, the original mashed pototoes are great, but the garlic ones and the sour cream and chive ones are weird.

I put mine in plastic jars with enough head space to put their brush in to work up a good lather. They are attractive and easy to transport if needed. I also sell refills wrapped in coffee filters.

I would put it in the containers directly - it sounds like you are doing a harder soap, mix of KOH and NaOH, right? From the slow cooker, put it in to the containers rather than a larger mould.

Hmmmm. The recipe I saw and liked looked pretty simple...like bath soap but with higher castor oil content and added bentonite clay and oatmeal:

45% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil (76 Degree)
20% Castor Oil
8% Palm Oil
7% Almond Oil, Sweet
Bentonite Clay
Colloidal Oatmeal

It only specified "lye" which I assumed is NaOH. I've never considered using POH. Can some kind person point me to a thread that explains the difference? I know soapcalc allows for it, but it's never even occurred to me to use it. But, yes, I am envisioning a bar for use with a shaving brush...sorta "old school" like my grandpa used. I'm thinkin' that would be classy out your a$$ <kidding>.

I'm just going to say that what you have there is no shaving soap. Check out the thread started by Songwind in the CP forum for some information on shaving soaps.

Some of the more............shall I say "passionate" shavers might well have more choice words on that recipe, but I will just say have a look at the thread I mentioned before committing to making this one.

No shame in it at all! I keep seeing lots and lots of "shaving soaps" which are just bath soap recipes with some slight changes. Lots of books, websites and so on churn them out and soapers happen upon them and don't know what makes a great shaving soap (the sort that makes shavers purr like kittens with creamy whiskers!). No offense to anyone, especially Zoapus.

I will say one thing - people could shave with that recipe. It will make a bar that can be shaved with. But then you can also shave with just water. Or peanut butter! But the information in the Songwind thread is an absolute treasure. It is hard going, a lot to read, but if you are serious about making a shaving soap, read it. All of it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z9W0V62-U[/ame]

Last edited:
I make shaving soap sets. You can search for bowls at thrift stores and flea markets. I had gotten wooden bowls at a flea market from someone for $1 a piece. I also found nice ceramic bowls at thrift stores for less then $1, some as low as 30 cents. Dollar Tree has some soup mugs that you may want to consider if you do not want to go hunting. lol I don't make it a habit to just go shopping for things at thrift stores and flea markets. But if I see something while there, inspirations strikes. I get my shaving brushes from ebay in lots. No need to spend $25 a brush. Mine usually range less than $4 a piece.

Once I run out of my collection of bowls i have collected, I will consider the soup mugs from dollar tree. here is a link for them http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=soup mugs I am so loving the clear ones.

The way I sell mine, I put shredded paper in the bowl and lay the soap and brush on top and shrink wrap it. I would suggest that you go with round soap so that it fits better and looks better in round bowls and mugs. Although, I like the suggestion of others of pouring the soap directly in the bowl. Think I will try that next time.

Last edited:
Would the larger yogurt containers work? Like Chobani? Might be a way to recycle some at the same time. I made a soap similar to that recipe for shaving, my husband really likes it. He uses it with his shaving soap brush, his face is always nice and soft when he is done. I do have a round silicon mold but I also have a silicon muffin pan that makes a nice round soap that would probably work just fine.

My hubby likes his mug. It's just a plain old coffee mug that was sitting around un-used in my cupboard until he chose to re-purpose it as a shaving mug.

I second The Efficacious Gentleman's suggestion to read through Songwind's thread. And may I suggest this thread, too: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47002&highlight=croap

I learned so much from both of those threads and from all the "crazy wet-shaving dudes" that contributed to the them that I changed up my regular shaving formula and made it even better.

IrishLass :)

I never gave much thought to making shaving soap but was intrigued by the threads on the subject. My husband used to use the shaving soap and brush some years ago before he started traveling for work.

I broke down and started reading up on the subject and when I found that gazillion page thread with some fascinating information in it, I brewed up a pot of tea, settled in and started reading. Wow is there a lot of info on this site about shaving soaps!! :)

My daughter wants to be done with chemical shaving creams for her legs and so she is willing to "try" what I can come up with. My husband is a willing test subject always, at least when he is at home. :D

As for containers, there are many things out there, even the low squat tins that candle and bath and beauty suppliers sell. I want to try the puck route because I am also a Potter and want to make complimentary containers for shaving soaps. I am currently researching sizes and handles etc.

Settle in, sit and read, but take my advise BEFORE reading......get a pen and paper and take notes .............. AS YOU GO. :)

As beautiful as it is, I don't like glass in the bathroom, and I agree that wooden bowls are crazy $$$. I like a stainless steel bowl, or plastic low profile jar with lid. Instead of looking for shaving bowls, look for stainless round condiment cups, those are nice and much more reasonably priced. Enameled camping mugs are also very nice if you can find them for a good price.

Go to your nearest thrift stores and look for mugs. I use mugs from my Goodwill and Disabled Vet. thrift stores. A mug with shaving soap and a shaving brush makes a wonderful gift.

Back