Oh no, more discoloration! What is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBien

Reaction score
Oh no, I don't know what to think. A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about a couple of bars that discolored, now I have more. I can't imagine what this is, any new ideas?

Here's my recipe:
Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Soybean Oil, Shea Butter, and Castor Oil. It has lavender & clary sage EO, and I used alkanet root to make the purple. The other two batches that discolored are similar recipes one had avacado oil in addition to the above, and one had rice bran oil instead of soybean oil.

The soap is also sweating (it's hot and muggy where I live right now but I've go the a/c on). This particular soap was sitting on a shelf with plenty of air circulation and no direct sun.

What can this be, please help if you can. I'm going crazy.

Stacie

That darker part looks to me like a ring from partial gel.

I am not positive on some of the oils but seems you have more softer ones. Maybe that is what is causing the sweating.

Val

Thanks, but it's not a partial gel. Good point though, I forgot to mention that the soap was perfect until a couple of days ago when it started to discolor. It was made on April 16th.

Stacie

I always thought that if soap was going to turn a color, it would do it pretty much immediately..? Guess not..

Could overheating the oils do this? Around that time I was in the process of switching how I melted the oils and it is certainly possible that I could have overheated them.

If so, what would that have done? Would it have made it more susceptible to going rancid or something?

Thanks, keep your ideas coming. I sure do appreciate it!

Stacie

PS The discoloration does not go through the bar. (edited to include the PS)

Yes, overheating the oils can lead to the fatty acids breaking down, and in turn lead to rancidity. To me that is what it looks like.

Back