Consistant bar sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beehappy76

Reaction score
Hi there! I am brand new here and to CP soap. I've been making Goat's Milk MP with honey for about a year, but want to move into CP. My question is, and forgive me if it has been asked - I searched and couldn't find the answer - how do you keep your bar sizes consistent if using different molds? Or do you just use the same mold and have multiple of the same mold? For instance, I have a BB 10" silicone mold and than another 8" inch silicone mold, but they are different heights. I also have some silicone molds that have 6 individual rectangular molds. I've been using these for my MP bars. I do sell at several farmer's markets and have an online store so I want to be consistent. Thank you!

Best way to have consistency is to use the same molds or at least ones the same size. You could always adjust how full you fill your
molds. Take your 10" and 8", fill your shorter one full but only fill the taller one to match the other. That seems like a bother though, easier to just get multiples of the size you want.

What Obsidian said, and also get a nice multi bar cutter, or use one that can be adjusted to the same sized cut every time. That will go a long way in having consistent bars as well.

I have 3 main molds I use for different types of soap that produce different bar sizes.

Tall & skinny silicone workhorses: These 2 molds are my workhorses, I use them for almost everything and cut my bars at a consistent size with a wire cutter.

6-cavity molds: only for salt/brine bars. They harden up so fast that I hate trying to deal with them with my wire cutter!

Slab mold: I don't use it often... mostly just for challenges in the forum, TBH. They're nice for detailed swirls.

Hello and welcome. If you haven't made CP soap yet I wouldn't be too concerned about size of the soap as it takes a long time to formulate, make and test until you find the right blend for you that lasts. I would recommend starting with 2 lb batches at the most.

Also, not to sound rude, I checked out your website/Etsy and you may want to look into FDA regulations as you make some pretty big claims and even highlight taking EO's internally. Your sight has crossed into the drug category and far extends the bath and cosmetics. Would hate to see you be a product of being reported or caught by the FDA. Your products are labeled incorrectly as well. A good reliable source for labeling is a book by Marie Gale. Soap and Cosmetic Labeling. That way you can avoid any issues.

Hello and welcome. If you haven't made CP soap yet I wouldn't be too concerned about size of the soap as it takes a long time to formulate, make and test until you find the right blend for you that lasts. I would recommend starting with 2 lb batches at the most.

Also, not to sound rude, I checked out your website/Etsy and you may want to look into FDA regulations as you make some pretty big claims and even highlight taking EO's internally. Your sight has crossed into the drug category and far extends the bath and cosmetics. Would hate to see you be a product of being reported or caught by the FDA. Your products are labeled incorrectly as well. A good reliable source for labeling is a book by Marie Gale. Soap and Cosmetic Labeling. That way you can avoid any issues.

Thank you. My site was originally just a blog and I had that going way before I began making and selling products. I do have information on my website about EO, which I have researched the articles and information from very reputable sources. Some people believe you can take them internally, some people don't. As far as my products, I don't make any medical claims as to my products. I've been careful about my labeling and don't see how my products are labeled incorrectly. I'm confused? I don't advocate taking any of my products internally either. I also have the FDA disclaimer on all my product listings on my Etsy store. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look more closely into it.

Thank you. My site was originally just a blog and I had that going way before I began making and selling products. I do have information on my website about EO, which I have researched the articles and information from very reputable sources. Some people believe you can take them internally, some people don't. As far as my products, I don't make any medical claims as to my products. I've been careful about my labeling and don't see how my products are labeled incorrectly. I'm confused? I don't advocate taking any of my products internally either. I also have the FDA disclaimer on all my product listings on my Etsy store. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look more closely into it.

Here's some good articles to review, assuming you're in the USA:
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/Claims/default.htm
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceRegulation/LawsRegulations/ucm074201.htm

This one is especially useful, as you can see what terms the offenders actually used by reading the warning letters they received: https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ComplianceEnforcement/WarningLetters/ucm081086.htm

Here's a particular letter to a soapmaker who got caught using some claims that seem reminiscent of what's on your website: https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2017/ucm564189.htm

Here's some good articles to review, assuming you're in the USA:
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/Claims/default.htm
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceRegulation/LawsRegulations/ucm074201.htm

This one is especially useful, as you can see what terms the offenders actually used by reading the warning letters they received: https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ComplianceEnforcement/WarningLetters/ucm081086.htm

Here's a particular letter to a soapmaker who got caught using some claims that seem reminiscent of what's on your website: https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2017/ucm564189.htm

Wow!! Thank you! As a doTERRA WA, my site was reviewed by doTERRA and found to be "compliant" with my terminology! Most of my descriptions come from what the ingredients actually can do, but I didn't realize that I was not compliant, per the FDA. My goodness!! You have saved me a bunch of headache!! I will work on it. Thank you so very much!!

Wow!! Thank you! As a doTERRA WA, my site was reviewed by doTERRA and found to be "compliant" with my terminology! Most of my descriptions come from what the ingredients actually can do, but I didn't realize that I was not compliant, per the FDA. My goodness!! You have saved me a bunch of headache!! I will work on it. Thank you so very much!!

No worries! I'm not a seller, but I remember reading a horror story about a soaper who got a surprise visit from the FDA over some terms she used on her website. Scary stuff indeed!

Would you be FDA compliant if you say “- - - - is known to be beneficial for eczema sufferers” or “since ancient times it’s been know to be beneficial for eczema sufferers”?

Would you be FDA compliant if you say “- - - - is known to be beneficial for eczema sufferers” or “since ancient times it’s been know to be beneficial for eczema sufferers”?
It would really not be compliant but I know my daughter has pushed the envelope. Fortunately we have not received any warning letters from FDA. Believe it or not but a few years ago we had an FDA inspector actually make a large purchase from our site. We never knew if it was a coincidence or not but she purchased a product off almost every page. The address got my daughter suspicious and she started doing some research. So if one thinks they will not find the little guy you are sadly mistaken.

As for any suggestions on a site of taking anything internally you are severely crossing lines. Also Doterra has been in trouble with FDA. You are also not allowed to post testimonials about your product doing this or that

As for the original post I use all the same molds, of which I have several, and a multi cutter.

Can you say “activated Charcoal is effective in treating eczema”?

You are not saying the soap is effective but the ingredient is effective.
Would that be ok?
They just you can’t make claims but don’t actually say what you can say.

It would really not be compliant but I know my daughter has pushed the envelope. Fortunately we have not received any warning letters from FDA. Believe it or not but a few years ago we had an FDA inspector actually make a large purchase from our site. We never knew if it was a coincidence or not but she purchased a product off almost every page. The address got my daughter suspicious and she started doing some research. So if one thinks they will not find the little guy you are sadly mistaken.

As for any suggestions on a site of taking anything internally you are severely crossing lines. Also Doterra has been in trouble with FDA. You are also not allowed to post testimonials about your product doing this or that

As for any suggestions on a site of taking anything internally you are severely crossing lines. Also Doterra has been in trouble with FDA. You are also not allowed to post testimonials about your product doing this or that[/QUOTE]

Who says anyone is "severely crossing lines" about anyone taking anything internally. Some people believe taking essential oils internally is okay. Some don't. It's a personal preference for people. doTERRA, along with Young Living and other EO companies have instructions and guidelines for taking EO internally all over their websites. I personally don't tell anyone what to do with EO. My blog has informative articles on EO's, but nothing from me telling people to take them one way or another. As for my products, none of my products are for "internally" consumption anyway.

Most people who are purchasing natural products already know what the ingredients "can do" or "what the raw materials can help with." If not, I direct people to do their research.

I don't think it would be, but that's me. I feel folks kind of know what helps their skin and what doesn't. I've actually given potential customers who have skin issues a bar of plain unscented soap to try. Several have returned and continue to buy them.

From what I've read, it isn't compliant. Saying 'X does y and my soap has X in it" or even having a list of the benefits of eos as part of marketing (even a separate link to or hard copy of something on a stall) takes you over that line.

As to "who says?" - the FDA says, that's who! Oddly enough, those pyramid schemes are in it for the money they make and will happily approve things which helps to forward that goal. It doesn't mean that it is approved by the body responsible for cosmetics etc in the united states. Read the actual regulations from the regulatory body, not the marketing fluff from the corporation trying to make wads of cash

You need to include the weight on the front of the packaging. You must also have your name, address and phone # on the label (back is fine).

FDA warning is not going to save you if someone does something dumb with your product. Hope you have good insurance in place as anyone selling should.

Also, you do know M&P & CP is not all natural. Micas are not natural either, soap is not moisturizing, if made correctly it won't strip our hides. It's a wash off product.

I recommend you do more research to avoid any issues. Just trying to be helpful. :)

FDA warning is not going to save you if someone does something dumb with your product. Hope you have good insurance in place as anyone selling should.

In any case, I don't think anyone can just slap an FDA warning on a product (isn't there an application process?). Even so, it's not for use on soap and cosmetics:

"The disclaimer is used when a claim is made that makes a relationship between a nutrient (in a food supplement) to a disease or health-related condition." (Gale, 2015)

"The 'product not evaluated" disclaimer may NOT be used on soap and cosmetics to allow claims of physical betterment that might come from using the product" (Gale, 2015).

Reference
Gale, M. (2015). Soap & Cosemetic Labeling. Broadbent: Cinnabar Press.

You need to include the weight on the front of the packaging. You must also have your name, address and phone # on the label (back is fine).
Doesn't Gale say that you can get by without physical address and phone number as long as your email address or web site (which would be on the product) is in a couple of online directories? I know I read that, but I don't know if it was on her website addenda or if it was in the original book.

Back