Total Beginner But Very Interested and Ready to Start

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't look at changing this recipe until you've used 4 week old bar for a while. How it performs at one week, two or even three would not be really representative of how it can end

Oh I have no intention of changing anything until I have tried the first two. I made another batch this afternoon, as I am away for a week from tomorrow. Already learned that small moulds are pretty hopeless for HP. What I would like to do is read a little more about the different oils and their properties. That I can do in the hotel bar!

Aye, but my point was that decisions about what to change, if anything, should wait until the soap is actually pretty well cured, or you might try to correct something which isn't actually an issue. A lovely, bubbly, non-drying bar at 4 weeks might be a dud when used at 2 weeks.

Welcome fellow early retiree! You've found a very rewarding hobby, and one that absolutely requires lots and lots of patience.

For your questions, yes, you can use your stove to heat or even just begin heating your oils. Using a water bath/double boiler/bain marie setup can help get them heated to the correct temps without accidentally scorching your oils.

I'm inclined to say the one shop keeper was correct, hot and cold process are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that with hot process you apply external heat to hurry along saponification. Cold process you let it provide its own heat mostly, and it saponifies at a slower rate.

As far as relative difficulty levels, I'd say that hot process is actually a bit more difficult than cold process. You have to keep an eye on your soap, making sure it doesn't volcano or get too dry or too hot (soap can scorch- burnt soap does not smell nice) with HP. With CP, you don't have quite so many worries about temperature effects (unless you use a fragrance or additions that cause it to heat up beyond what it normally would). You also, as Toxikon noted, are able to do a lot more design-wise with CP.

Yes, how often you stir HP soap can make a difference. The more you stir, the more water it loses during cooking, which will make it more difficult to get into a mold.

Zap testing, done correctly, is no worse than putting your tongue across the terminals of a 9v battery. IrishLass also wrote out instructions how to do it here- http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63199

I deliberately zap tested a soap I knew still had unreacted lye in it, just to see what it felt like. Seriously, it's like a quick electrical shock. Surprising, and if you've done it correctly, not even painful. Unmistakable, though.

Chemical pH testing will NOT tell you if you still have unreacted lye in your soap. The zap test does, reliably and safely.

I've suggested that before and was told basically I was crazy. Not those words but you get the idea. I'd like to second your motion!:)

I would like to recommend not just knowing how to use a soap calculator but actually calculating your first few loaves yourself and then using a calc to see if your close.
Here is an example that I just made up.
16 oz olive oil @ .135
5 oz coconut (92) @ .178
3 oz Argon oil @ .136
4% superfat

(1-.04)x((16 x .135)+(5 x .178)+(3 x .136))
.96(2.16 + .89 + .41)
= 3.32 oz. lye

Knowing how to do this is the difference between a steering wheel holder and a professional race car driver.
Knowing this helped me out greatly so maybe it will help you too.

Latest posts

Back