Lavender FO that doesn't smell like a dryer sheet?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heika

HiMark Soaps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried several different lavender FO's, and they all smell like something you throw in the dryer. No true lavender scent. I mix the FO with EO when making soap to help the scent stick around. Lavender EO just doesn't like to stay in my soaps. Any suggestions on a real smelling lavender FO that sticks?

Hi, I was in the same boat and did not want to try 37 different lavender FO's before finding the right one, too many orders would have to be placed and soaps made, so I asked last week, here is a link to the thread. I have placed my order and am awaiting it's arrival so I can't say for sure, but I trust the noses here :) Good luck!

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65748

BB's Lavender fo. That's the whole name: Lavender. To me it smells the most like lavender 40/42 eo. Because the eo was getting expensive - I starting mixing the fo and eo 50/50.

Curious that your eo soaps don't retain the scent at all? It fades, but I've found 100% eo soaps keep a noticeable fragrance. What kind of eo have you tried?

Curious that your eo soaps don't retain the scent at all? It fades, but I've found 100% eo soaps keep a noticeable fragrance. What kind of eo have you tried?

Perhaps it is a problem with my method. I have used 40/42 and an amazingly strong lavender eo produced by a local person in my area from her lavender fields. Neither has stayed in the soap well.

That's a shame - locally grown and distilled eo is a special thing to put in your soap! Have you checked the percentage used it high enough? Maybe consider hot processing the lavender soap.

Btw, bb's lavender fields is a sweeter, more flowery scent that I wouldn't use alone. I've mixed it at 25% with 40/42 eo, and it sweetens it just enough that even the men still like it. But it's the bb plain lavender fo that is my go to replacement if I don't want to pay for the real stuff. (although some places have recently had better prices)

That's a shame - locally grown and distilled eo is a special thing to put in your soap! Have you checked the percentage used it high enough? Maybe consider hot processing the lavender soap.

Yes, it is very special. I need a new bottle from her, as I like to use it in balms, etc. because it is so incredible. It is also very, very expensive! LOL! So, I will not be using it in soap again. If the scent would stay, it would be one thing, but with it fading so quickly, I just can't justify the cost. I love to use local products when they are available. The soap I made with it was made with high heat fluid hot process. The EO was added once the temp of the soap dropped to about 150 degrees. I used it at 4%, which I thought was high for hot process. The scent was initially very strong, but faded quickly, and was gone by the 3 month mark. Even showering with it didn't produce a noticeable scent. The next time I made it, I tried 40/42 but had similar results. After that, I began mixing it with an FO. The FO I have been using is from Nature's Garden. People like the scent, but I personally can't stand it. It smells just like a downy dryer sheet to me. I will purchase the bb lavender and give it a shot.

Back