HARD bar recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I am quoting Soap Queen on this 'over 5%' statistic. She does have a recipe for an 8% BW bar I used; and indeed, it was not ever as hard as the >5% bar. But it did, indeed, feel lovely. And BB has a lovely Saffron & Honey FO that was perfect for it.

But for hard bars, I like Lard/CO/PKO Flakes. Have not tried salt yet. On my list of experiments to try.

:) ~HL~

Although salt bars are very hard they are also very soluble because of the high coconut oil which allows them to lather and will not last as long as soaps with palm, lard or tallow. 100% coconut soap is the main soap used for sailors soap becuase it lathers in salt water. As mentioned you can a tsp tsp of salt ppo to help harden a bar. Hard does not equal longevity in soap. I discovered it several years ago but DeeAnna has a good post which describes the numbers in soap calc

I agree with you that hardness does not equal longevity. But my salt bar 150g has live in the shower (4 people using it every day, my daughter throw it in the bath water every day- still rock hard, no solubility ever noticed-I think this is the reason why sailors use it) for 3 months and there is still a chunk. Maybe its not enough for you. For me its very long...Im looking forward to get rid of it because I have a new recipe soap cured that I want to try! ;)

Back