My ad--How to lure people to the top floor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap_rat

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I signed up for my first craft fair. It has 700 vendors and 3 levels, there were only a few spots left so I'm on the top. The organizer was honest about it being quieter (and the booth price was lower) so I'm doing an ad in the program to try to get traffic. There are a couple other soap people and some bath & body people who include soap, and they're all on the lower floors.

I want to offer something in the ad to get people to come on up to my floor. I'm also wondering if I try to get them up there early, they will have more money in their pockets? Like, offer something extra if they get there before a certain time? But then if they don't see the ad until later, maybe they won't bother since they missed the "good stuff"?

I'm not sure what to do, though, or how big of an offer to make. 10% off? 10% off purchases over $30? Should it be only with purchase, or give them something just as a thanks for coming to look?

I'm probably going to be offering samples for free; I'm not allowed to put samples in the bathrooms, so I may need to give people samples if they need to try before they buy.

Could it even just be a nice chocolate, not even a soap?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Do up some bath bombs or gift soaps and include them as a gift. So in your ad say something like for your purchase over $20 get your free gift.

What about free lip balm with purchase? Or just a free lip balm in general to the first X amount of people that come by? That would just depend on how much it costs you to make a lip balm but it could be a good way to be some advertising on the tube. And people love their lip balm especially this time of year.

Thanks for your ideas! Most of your suggestions are a gift with purchase, nice to know I may not need to give out lots of complete freebies. However I'm so afraid of being in an echoing empty room with hundreds of bars of soap! So I may do as Ourwolfden suggests and do something like lip balms "while supplies last". I haven't worked out my cost for balms, though. I also make tiny molded soaps so I could make up a bunch of those as freebies.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has ideas, I'd love them.

I'd do a little lottery. Let buyers leave behind their name and email address (you could use those to send newsletters) and give away something special at the end of the day. A gift basket, soap log etc.

For "try before you buy" samples, I have seen a vendor who used a planer to cut thin slivers of soap. They will try to curl up, but he said he flattened them under a weight.

I like Dagmar's idea. Not only will you be having people come up during the entire day, but you end up with a nice list of emails for future ads. Make sure that you state "must not be present to win" so you don't end up with a bunch of bogus email addresses. If they want the prize, they are more willing to give you a valid address. Good luck and let us know how you do and lessons learned. I hope to be able to do some shows in about a year when I've developed a nice line of products.

Latest posts

Back