Newbie Needs Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olive oil doesn't smell like anything in finished soap, not to worry.

Also, you can't really make a moisturizing soap. You can make a gentle, conditioning soap (high % of olive oil is one easy way to accomplish this), but technically, soap does not moisturize.

I also recommend you watch some videos - the soaping 101 ones on you tube are good as well as the ones produced by Brambleberry.

You are correct. My brain does not bring the correct words to be used at 11pm. I am not quite sure why...j/k.:crazy:

I happened across the Soaping101 YouTube videos before any of the others. So, I happen to be a bit partial to those. NOT saying anything bad about SoapQueen!!!

Oh I'm loving SoapQueen videos! Very informative. But they'd be more useful if I had more experience. They have some great beginner tutorials on their website, though.

I didn't see a whole lot of MP videos from Soaping101, but I watched several videos just to get a hang of lingo and see how CP is done.

ALSO: I used 1 tbsp. per pound of base of EVOO and when the soap hardened I couldn't smell it at all!

you can also buy a mp olive oil base, that way you dont have to add more olive oil into it. i think brambleberry has it.

and yes to Susan's blog (swiftcraftymonkey)! you can learn A LOT from there, esp things pertaining to lotion, shampoo making (and many many more). i was clueless with lotion before, and Susan's blog helped me a lot.

what else... if you want to make a conditioning soap, you can also try cp soap. this way, you have total control on what you put into the soap, compared to buying a premade mp base.

welcome to the addiction. pretty soon you're gonna ditch all those commercial stuff and use your own :)

Haha Seven, I'm sure I will! I eventually want to have unique formulas, I just don't have the money to experiment much...so for other reasons as well, I am starting the job search soon!

Back