Lotion Bar Size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Shunty. I was looking at 50 to 60 grams, so that is pretty much 2 ounces :)

Also, will make 10 gram testers in my new mini moulds. Oddly enough, no one wants to use the lotion bar from their friends..................

Yeah, that's kind of a personal item not to be shared. I've debated putting in a preservative just to keep grimy hands from spreading anything icky or growing it. I keep one next to the bed and use it on my feet every night.

I'm sure mine aren't but don't know what others do with them... I've got several in my rotation and they are over a year old and still working fine. I love them for extra dry spots.

Just wanted to chime in that mine are also 2 oz (57 g). They last a very long time, and this is our observation as well as our customers.

I also make mini ones, in heart shaped bonbon molds, they are about 0.2 oz. I either sell them for those that want just a little bit, or I gift them to folks that make substantial purchases.

What size tins are you getting your 2 oz ones in? I have 2 oz tins and the weight of the bar I'm getting in there is around 1 oz. thanks!

I pour 2 oz bars using a muffin pan (as many others do :) ) and store in 4 oz tins from Specialty Bottle. Using a preservative is an interesting thought...I'll have to think on that one. Right now it's just rosemary oleoresin and vitamin-e for back up.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I've been making about 1 to 1 1/2 oz bars and putting them in 2 oz tins with a screw-on lid (not as fond of tins with lift-off lids). The bars I've packaged this way are a "bartenders balm" recipe that is firmer and drier than a typical lotion bar. It's a bit of a specialized product that's pretty much limited to hands and thick callouses. A smallish bar of this stuff will last so long it will go off before you can use it up. I like how the 2 oz tins are small enough to slip into a pocket or small purse. Here's what I got: https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Screw-Top-Tin-2-oz.html

I made a sample batch of lotion bars last night and poured it into a 9×9 silicone pan. I went to cut a small corner today and it started splitting at the cut into the other pieces. I will admit that it is quite thin, maybe 1/4" tall. Is my problem the thinness (is that a word?:) or having it in the pan where I have to cut it?

I made a sample batch of lotion bars last night and poured it into a 9×9 silicone pan. I went to cut a small corner today and it started splitting at the cut into the other pieces. I will admit that it is quite thin, maybe 1/4" tall. Is my problem the thinness (is that a word?:) or having it in the pan where I have to cut it?

You can always remelt and re pour on single cavity molds. Even cup cake molds will work.

Your problem is the nature of the lotion bar itself. It's too brittle to cut with a knife. If you had a wire cutter, you might be able to cut it without shattering. You could try warming the product until it becomes slightly pliable, but warming will increase the stickiness and that might cause other problems. Best answer is to use individual molds like Green Soap suggested.

I'm just curious. For those of you that use the tins, do you pour the melted lotion into the tin or into a different mold first?

I pour directly into my muffin tins after melting combined oils/butters and let cool. Works beautifully every time, and the bars are the perfect size.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Sorry! I thought you meant muffin tins as opposed to the portable tins :). I prefer not to do that because the bar is easier to apply if it can be removed. I think I tried pouring directly into the container one time and dispensed with that idea. However, someone else may have a different view.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

That's was kind of my thought as well. I figured it would be better to pour into a mold and then into a tin. Can you use a non-stick cupcake pan to mold it?

Yes. I've been making and selling lotion bars for a couple of years now. I just use a nice, non-stick muffin tin.

Back