Lip Balm Basics, Ratios of butters/oils/ etc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oranget

Reaction score
I really want to learn how to make myself a great lip balm. I buy a lot that I end up not really liking or using. I guess the first thing I need to know is, what is proper ratio of the different types of ingredients ?

I have been researching this for a few days, and there are many Many different opinions on this. Here are 2, does either one sound like a proper foundation ? If not, what would you change ? What, is a ‘brittle’ oil, and how to tell solid from brittle ? Is there a standard room temp for all this ?

Example from a blog :

3 parts Carrier Oil
I part Beeswax ( or other wax )
I part solid butter

Then, from MMS blog,

20% Beeswax
25% solid at room temperature oil (Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Shea Butter, Lanolin, etc.)
15% brittle at room temperature oil (Regular Cocoa Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, etc.)
40% liquid oil at room temperature (Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, etc.)

Thank you !

Last edited:
oh Avocado, interesting. I was thinking about maybe Mango.

Does anyone know what a brittle oil is? I understand solid and liquid, but brittle ... ?

wait.. is that what brittle means ! You have to pretty much own a chisel to se it ? I may have an icepick, somewhere ..

Yeah, I think you are right Susie. I have about 20 tubes around, and each ingredient list is different. Like snowflakes, only they smell nice.

I just wanted a basic framework to play with, to get started

Back