lip balm oil subs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, most of the other waxes are harder and need to be used in a ratio when swapping for beeswax.

Grrr .. I really wish the staff selling products were knowledgable enough to inform buyers of this type of thing when they make recommendations for swaps.

Not only did they NOT tell me that but when I called to tell them the results were waxy and asked for advice they recommended a different recipe of; 50% wax, 25% oil, 25% butters .. which would actually up the wax even more than the recipe I used.

I use half the amount of beeswax if using Candelillia wax as it is much harder in my opinion. You can tweak it if you need a bit more.

Wow .. 1/2 .. this recipe is going to take a fair bit of tweeking, LOL! I won't have enough pots once I up all the other oils to make that ratio :roll:

I have been using 2/3 candelilla wax to substitute bees wax, then I distribute the remaining 1/3 of the weight between the other oils/butters. Good results so far.

What I've read is that candellila and carnuba should be used at half the amount as beeswax.

Whoops! I didn't even see that there was more replies!

Last edited:
With the extra that you can't fit into pots put it into like a tiny gladware or similar container, like the salad dressing size. You can also pick up some tiny plastic containers from dollar tree that are useful for this. Then down the line when you have more containers or have used up and cleaned some containers you can remelt it from the large container and pour it into your pots.

I microwave my oils. I used to use the double boiler method, but saw tiny droplets of water getting into my lip balm. Had to throw that batch out. I leave my lip balm in the measuring cup until I have cooled it completely and tested it. If it is too hard, I add liquid oils, too soft, and another bit of beeswax or coconut oil. Then, when I am happy with the hardness and such, I melt again and pour into tubes. I send my daughter lip balm 1.5 oz at the time in those small dollar store containers. She can remelt and pour into tubes and pots she likes that way.

Just take part of your current batch to add more of whatever it is. Store the unused portion in the freezer or fridge in a zip top bag to prolong shelf life. DO take notes. Copious ones. So you can reproduce the results you want.

Last edited:
Back