LS that isn't liquid or soapy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplySudzy

Reaction score
I am rather new to the LS process I've only made 3 batches so far
the latest batch had promise and when I diluted it seems to have gone sideways
hoping to get some help on what I might have done wrong or what the issue might be

here is my formula
Olive oil pumice 27oz
Avocado oil 5.7oz
Castor oil 3.3oz
KOH 7.5oz
water 22.2oz
Glycerin .9oz

I cooked the soap until it reached trace then added the Glycerin
I cooked the paste until it was clear.
kept the temp in the 180 -185F range and mashed ever 30 min until it was finished

I tested it for clarity and PH at this point it was crazy sudsy and took for ever to get the suds to go away
so far so good

I boiled my water and added it to the paste I was shooting for 60oz of water to thin the soap however I have added a total of 96.3oz and I have a gel thick gel that doesn't really suds up at all

:headbanging:

I was wanting a gel like thickness so I came close on that aspect but the no suds is an issue for me

I'm not sure if it can be salvaged at this point or if it will just become a "here ya go" to family and friends

more importantly to me is what went wrong

any help would be greatly appreciated

Your recipe is mostly olive oil and oo liquid soap takes more water to dilute. I don't make much LS so I can't help with dilution rates. I would take a small amount of your thick liquid and add more water until you get the consistency you want.

As far as low lather, again with so much OO its not surprising it doesn't lather a ton. You need a little coconut oil to get big bubbles. Before being too disappointed though, get it diluted to where you want it and then give it a try, maybe with a bath poof which will help create lather.

It will still be a nice soap, even if it doesn't lather a bunch. I have a bar soap I bought from another soaper with literally zero bubbles. It makes a creamy, lotiony lather and is very nice.

Back