When do you add FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilmoursmith

Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of youtube video's and reading a lot of information about soapmaking and I've realized that some people add their FO's to the base oils before lye solution and some add at trace...

is there a right or wrong way to add FO or is it just personal preference??

It's personal preference I think.

I add FOs to the oils so if it accelerates it does it before I SB.
Doing this means the FO is well mixed in and doesn't leave globules or streaks in the soap.

No matter which way you do it it is a great idea to put your FO in the mold so that you can't forget it.

Last edited:
There's really no set-in-stone wrong or right way to add FOs that works for every one of them. They can be very individual, and I basically just do whatever works with whichever particular FO. Some of my FOs do better when I add them with my oils before adding the lye, but not so well after I've already added the lye, while others do well no matter when I add them. It's one of those things that you just have to play by ear, so to speak.

IrishLass :)

I'm one who generally adds them to my oils before my lye. Exception is when they are faster movers then I will add them at emulsion or light trace and just stir them in.

I add my FO to the oils before lye, but as others have mentioned, its not a question of right or wrong, but more of preference. Try it both ways and see which works for you. I feel like I have better control doing it that way. If I have the FO mixed in with the oils, and add the lye and see it immediately go opaque, that's usually an indication that things are going to move fast, so I'll just stir with the stick blender off, to see what happens. If it's going to accelerate, I feel like I'm better equipped to deal with it, if I get this early warning.

As other's have said, it's really a personal preference. I always add mine to the oils before I add my lye. Even ones I know accelerate. I just don't care if my soap speeds up or not, even when doing swirls because I figure soap is going to do what it wants to do, and I can only manipulate it so much. I've just learned how not to panic when things start to go south and just go with the flow. LOL

I like to add mine to my melted oils, so I don't forget later hah! And I know that the scent is fully incorporated into my batter. AND it's nice if you're doing multi-layer soaps and want your FO distributed throughout.

Back