Interested in making soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroknArrw

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the Philly area and want to learn how to do soaps
Started watching the soap queen.

What process does everyone prefer?

Anyone harvesting rainwater? Is it much of an effort?

I am looking to find classes close to me and once I do I can pick more brains. I want to educate myself as best I can.

Thanks for having me.

I would start here, http://www.soaping101.com/, watching Soaping 101 videos and there are also recipes. You can certainly ask for help here and someone will show to answer your questions. Millersoap.com also has a lot of good information and recipes. I have never been very fond of Supplier recipes since their main goal is to sell supplies. But that is just cynical me...

Welcome, BroknArrw. Here's a link to Certified Soap Making Teachers. The first class I took was in Ohio, and one of the other students in that class was from Pennsylvania. The distance for her to travel to Ohio was shorter than mine from Illinois (almost from the Iowa border, actually), so don't let distance be a deterrent if you are really motivated to take a class. But nearer you is a class in Pennsylvania, in January, so not so far to drive.

Pennsylvania also has a Soapmakers Gathering in June. I haven't been to that one, but have been to the one in Ohio for Ohio Soapmakers (and whoever else wants to attend, which I did). It was so much fun and you get to meet soapmakers face to face and build a network of soaping friends.

Of course you don't really have to take a hands on class in order to learn the craft, but I thoroughly enjoyed the classes I took and if that's something you really want to do, it's well worth it, IMO.

I'm with Susie. Rainwater isn't as clean and pure as you'd think, although it's certainly "soft." I could easily collect and use rainwater, but I'll stick to my store-bought distilled.

edit: Harvesting rainwater? Just stick a bucket under a rainspout is pretty much all that's needed. Wait for 10-15 minutes after the rains starts before filling the bucket, so the dust on the roof gets washed off and doesn't end up in your bucket.

Last edited:
I use the Cold Process Oven Process and am fine with paying $0.99 for a gallon of distilled water rather than collect rainwater.

I agree with others, used distilled water - easier and less worry.

As a side-note, if you do want to collect rain water and filter it, check with your local authorities on the collection of rain water.
In my area it is illegal to collect rain water, for any reason. (Sucks, I know, but it is what it is)

Back